Chapter 1

A/N: Hello my lovely readers! To start off, this is going to be slightly AU, where Rebekah is not traveling all over the place. Instead, she's going to be in New Orleans in her proper body, and will be a more major part of Season 3 than she was in canon :) that is all— enjoy!

October 31, 2013

Rebekah was used to the stares.

They'd followed her all her life. Ever since she was a little girl, she intrigued people. Her hair was a beautiful gold and she was prettier than others her age. Naturally, eyes followed, as did her protective brothers. As time went on, she'd grown only more beautiful, and it made sense that more heads turned her way.

Thus, walking into the Strix Gala at the Davilla Estate was like her natural habitat. She was unfazed by the way the ancient vampires stared at her and Elijah. She relished in it, actually. She stood a bit straighter, tucking her shoulders back and tilting her chin up.

She wanted to be seen. She wanted them all to notice the extravagant ball gown that fit tightly on her figure, accentuating every last curve that left her looking as though she was carved by the gods themselves. She wanted them to admire her makeup, and the way her hair fell down her back in delicate curls, as if each strand were honey dripping from a comb.

Most of all, she wanted them to drool. To swoon. To know that she was the most beautiful in the room. No one could hold a candle to her. Rebekah knew she looked good, and she loved it.

Elijah, perhaps, thought of things differently. After all, he was more worried about Hayley, who'd wormed her way in as a plus-one, despite Elijah's insistence that it would be too dangerous. The hybrid was confident she'd be alright. As she put it, she was with Rebekah and Elijah. There was no safer place.

"Why are they all staring at you?" asked Hayley quietly as Elijah led the two women deeper into the house.

"My darling brother is their sire," said Rebekah, surprised that Hayley hadn't figured it out sooner. "Why else would Tristan extend to him a personal invitation?"

"Well, you didn't sire Tristan," said Hayley as the blonde plucked a glass of champagne off a nearby tray. "Why did he invite you?"

"I sired his sister, Aurora. I doubt she'll be here, but I do imagine he wished to extend a warm welcome to make it seem as though he isn't on a path to ruin our lives. With Tristan, one can always expect chaos."

Hayley shifted uncomfortably. "So all these people are from one sireline?"

"Nearly all," corrected Elijah. "There should be one..."

"She wouldn't be here," said Rebekah sharply.

Elijah raised a brow. "As you said, Tristan does seem to be up to no good. His usual tricks. I believe he invited you because she'd be in attendance."

"Who are we talking about?" asked Hayley."

"Her ex," said Elijah, just as Rebekah said, "His ex."

"Woah, woah, woah," said Hayley. "You two dated the same woman? I thought only the Mikaelson brothers had that issue."

"To be fair, she didn't actually like me," said Elijah, his lip twitching. "She was after Rebekah the entire time. I was a pawn meant to sway my little sister's jealousy. And it worked. As she expected."

"Well, where is she? I don't see anyone staring at you two anymore. Guess the booze and the strippers are more interesting."

"She might not have arrived yet," imagined Elijah.

"She better not," said Rebekah. "I have no intention of digging up old history tonight. I came to be vigilant and to have a good time."

"And to rub it in Niklaus's face that he was not asked to join us this evening," noted Elijah.