Chapter 2

Odile wanted to bash her head into the wall.

At this point, this was a daily occurrence. She'd do or say something stupid, and want to run right into a ton of bricks as punishment.

How foolish could she be? To think that Rebekah Mikaelson might be even slightly grateful for her offer? The blonde could hardly look at her. What reason did Rebekah have to be angry, when she was the one who abandoned her?

The vampire felt regret. Regret that she even put herself in that situation. She should have remained in the shadows instead of revealing to the Mikaelsons that she was in their city. Now, she'd just put a target on her back, because Rebekah clearly wanted nothing to do with her.

And yet, she hadn't been able to stop herself from telling Elijah how concerned she was about Rebekah's safety.

Odile found herself sitting in her room, tossing a tennis ball against the ceiling and catching it when it fell. She threw it so hard that it lodged itself into the plaster, and she had to resort to curling up for the night.

She was terrified. And it wasn't something that she admitted often, especially not to anyone outside her inner circle, which consisted of herself, and her father, who she talked to as if he were actually there, when he wasn't.

As a child, she hadn't been very fearful. She was stubborn, and learned what not to do through an experience gone wrong.

"Papa!" she screamed, the first time she could remember being at sea on his boat. She must have been about five years old. "Look at me!"

"If you fall, it'll be your own fault," Svend said, supervising her from the deck surface as she started to climb the rigging.

"I'm not gonna fall!" she squealed, sticking a leg out. "Axel, look at me!"

She waved at the quartermaster, who was standing beside her father, smirking. "You'll break a bone, little one. You may come of brittle bones on your mum's side."

"Axel, you idiot!" she giggled. "I don't know my mum!"

"Oi, watch your tongue," Axel shouted up. "Being around pirates is no excuse for a lady to speak like one."

She stuck her tongue out at him, and looped her legs through the rope before flopping back, and hanging upside down. "Idiot, idiot, idiot!"

"What do you expect her to do, Axel?" asked Svend, laughing heartily. "She's been raised at sea. You fools yell at each other all day. She's bound to learn a thing or two about it." He whistled. "Svanhild, get down."

"No, Papa, just a bit longer! I'm seeing the world backwards!"

"We're landing soon, and you've got to get below deck. You know the rules."

She gripped the ropes and swung herself down. She missed a step, and toppled off the rigging, but her father caught her with ease, which made her laugh more.

"This one's got worms in her," said Svend, tickling her tummy. "It's why she can't sit still."

Even now, nearly nine hundred and thirteen years later, she had trouble keeping her limbs from moving. Just as she had trouble holding in comments that were better left unsaid.

"Why did I even approach them?" asked Odile loudly. "I just brought up every last memory I wanted to keep buried."

Still, she felt good about the fact that she told Elijah (and, through him, told Rebekah) that she wasn't going to follow along with the stupid rules Tristan tried to enforce. She was of a different sireline. Sitting back and letting him handle things simply wasn't an option. He'd already made it clear that Aurora wasn't going to participate in whatever sinister thing he was plotting.