2022 is Going to be My Year

Brantley’s POV:
By the time that Mama had called me and told me to come back to the house, I had been as antsy as crackhead looking for their next fix. So much so, that the normally 10 minute ride from Mama’s to my place took me a grand total of 3 minutes. Big props to the man upstairs for keeping the cops on the other side of town. Especially considering I had barreled through Main street doing 95. The looks I had gotten from the old men who sat out in front of the barber shop had been ones of disapproval but then again, I was used to them. Over my 37 years on this planet, I had been on the receiving end of those looks so many times that I had lost count by the time I was ten. What was one more look?

But what surprised me most upon arriving home was the amount of cars parked in my drive. Of course I recognized them all but I had also been led to believe that this was going to be a small get together. Based on the amount of jacked up ford and chevys parked in my drive, it looked like Nashville had come to town. 

Pulling into my usual spot, which was marked with a ‘reserved for the birthday boy’ banner, I switched the engine off and climbed out, shaking my head at the ridiculousness of the banner. I had just rounded the corner of the house when everyone in attendance turned my direction and yelled Happy Birthday. Not going to lie, I could perform for thousands and not feel even the slightest amount of shyness. But give me a ground of my closest friends and family who were all here to celebrate me and my birthday, and well, it had my cheeks turning a slight shade of pink. Luckily my beard would cover most of it though. Couldn't afford to lose my man card now could I?  

I made my way through the crowd, hugging folks and telling them thank you for coming for what seemed like forever. When I finally reached Ash, I gave her a shy smile and pulled her to me before planting a steamy kiss on her lips, earning whistles from the peanut gallery that I called friends. 

“How did you get everyone here?” I asked softly as I broke the kiss. 

“I made a few calls in which they made a few calls.” she said, shrugging her shoulders. “I wanted this to be the best birthday yet.”

“It already is.” I said, giving her a quick kiss. “Simply because I have you.”

“Ohhh, good answer.” said Ash, giving me a loving smile. “You want to open gifts now? Then worry about the burgers or do you want to do burgers first.”

“Let's go with gifts.” I said. I could tell by the look in her eyes that she was hoping that was going to be the choice I made. I didn't know what she had up her sleeve but as I had been sitting at mamas, I figured that whatever had been bothering her the past week had been about this party. I could still feel she was a little off, maybe even a little nervous.

“Okay.” she whispered. “But you can't open the one from me until last.”

“Deal. as long as that gift is removing those jeans from that glorious ass of yours later.” I said pulling her against me and kissing her one last time. 

“Well, that's a given. But that's not your gift.” she said, breaking the kiss and lacing her fingers with mine. I followed her willingly over to the table that was covered in gifts. Once again, I was struck by just how amazing it was to have the friends that I had. Most of them were people that I had met through my career but a few were here that I rode with when I had the time. That is not counting family and childhood friends. While people might have said that they loved their friends like family, I meant it every single time. A man could do a whole hell of a lot worse for himself than being connected to the people I was. They were all just as much family as the ones that shared the same blood as me. 

“Birthday boy here can't wait to open his gifts” said Ash with a smile after I had whistled loudly to get everyone's attention. Taking a seat that Kolby had slipped my way, I sat down and watched as all my friends gathered near the porch. Once everyone was close, Ash passed me my first gift. 

“This is from Luke and Nicole.” she said, passing me the camouflaged wrapped gift, nodding in their direction. Based on the size and weight, I had a pretty good idea what it was. I smiled to myself when I opened the box and saw 5 pounds of tannerite and 2 boxes of bullets.

“For when things get boring out on the road.” said Luke, holding up his beer in one hand while his other was wrapped around Nicole’s waist, his palm resting on Nicole's now visible baby bump.

“Thanks man.” I yelled. “I’m sure we can find some shit to blow up.”

“This one is from Jason and Britt.” said Ash, passing me another box as Koldy took the one from Luke and Nicole. Tearing into the paper like a kid at Christmas, I smiled when I saw that it was season passes to see both the Braves and the Georgia Bulldogs. As a Georgia boy born and raised, I knew Jason would have passes to both teams as well.

“Guess this means we're going to be going on some double dates this year.” I said with a smirk as I tugged Ash into my side. “Gonna have to make sure we have plenty of tylenol to combat the amount of tequila these two are going to consume.”

“We got passes too.” Shouted Caroline. “Ladies, I’ll bring the tequila if yall bring the limes and salt.”

“Deal!” shouted Brittany.

The gift exchange lasted for what seemed like forever. But finally, I made it to the gift that I had been waiting for the whole time. The one from Ash. 

“Alright B. Last one. This one is from me. I really hope you like it.” said Ash. I could tell she was once again nervous.

Taking the box into my hands, I shook it gently to try and figure out what it was. But I couldn't hear anything moving. With dexterous fingers, I gently untied the ribbon that was around the box. Ever so gently, I lifted the lid of the box and immediately caught a face full of red and black glitter. But the glitter was soon forgotten when I looked into the box. Laying on top of the red and black tissue paper was a framed photograph that said “Coming to BG Nation on September ‘22”. Tears pooled in my eyes when I realized that the black and white photo in the frame was an ultrasound picture. Spinning my head in her direction, I looked up at Ashlyn, silently asking if I was seeing things right to which she just nodded her head.

Placing the box onto the floor of the porch, I stood and lifted her, swinging her in circles before kissing her deeply and thoroughly. When I put her back down, my palms went to her cheeks, still not believing what I was seeing. 

“Well, what the heck did she get you?” said Chase, pulling us back to reality. For the first time, I noticed that he had a woman with him. And I recognized the look on his face better than I recognized my own. He was hooked on the time little blonde tucked into his side. 

Bending down to pick up the frame, I saw a little baby t-shirt and grabbed it. Holding it up for everyone to see, I waited for them all to read it. I knew the moment that it sank in because everyone erupted into a fit of screams and applause. Next thing I knew, were were all bombarded by the crowd, smack dab in the middle of one giant group hug.

“Guess this means that I tamed my outlaw woman huh?” I said pulling back and looking down at her lovingly.

“I guess it does.” she said with a smile. “This adventure is going to be one hell of a ride aint it?” 

“With you by my side? You damn right.” I replied, kissing her. 2021 had started out horribly. Then I met the one woman that could rock my world and let her slip through my fingers. Now, I am with her by my side, and my child growing inside of her. Whatever I did in a past life to deserve all this good fortune, I was thankful. Looks like 2022 is definitely going to be my year.