Love Letter

"What do you have there, Arch?" Mum asked as she pointed at the paper in my hand.

"Some girl from school gave this to me" I answered. It was valentine's day and a girl from my class gave me this paper along with a Cadbury bar.

"Can I see?" Mum asked and I handed her the paper.

She opened it and after a few seconds, she sported a huge grin on her face.

In case you were wondering, the letter read:

Hi Archie! Do you like me?

YES

NO

I circled the 'Yes' one.

"Do you like this girl?" Mum asked as she returned the paper

"I guess? She seems nice" I said, making mum smile even more. "She also gave me a Cadbury bar"

"Did you eat all of it?" Mum asked and I shook my head. I knew that I wasn't supposed to finish an entire bar of chocolate in one sitting unless I was too thrilled to go to the dentist.

Mum pursed her lip then smiled.

The next morning, once mum stopped her car in front of the school, before I could leave, she handed me a Crunch.

"Give this to the girl who gave you the chocolate, okay? Tell her it's a thank you for the letter and for the chocolate" mum said. I nodded and kissed my mum's cheek.

"I will. Bye mum" I said as I got out of the car

"Love you, Arch!" Mum shouted through the window before driving off.

Who knew she was going to be this supportive over her 8yo son's love life?

"Is this... about last night?" Penelope asked.

I shook my head.

I mean technically it had something to do with last night, but not entirely.

I just didn't wanna keep stringing her along anymore.

"Is this about Sadie?" She asked. When I didn't answer, she took that as a yes.

She took a deep breath and hurriedly got out of my car, making sure to slam the door hard enough to shake my entire car.

I wanted to be pissed because of how she slammed my car door, but I had no right to be pissed off right now.

I deserved it anyway.

But at least the worst was done and I drove back home.

And the first thing I noticed once I got inside was how the house suddenly felt lively again.

Grandma Lily and Katherine were laughing while dad talked.

It was suspicious, but it made me hopeful that something good finally happened.

"You're finally home" Grandma Lily stated as I walked in the living room, with everyone turning to look at me.

"You're all awfully cheery" I said.

And for the second time in more than 24 hours, Katherine got up and hugged me.

"Thank you!" She said through the hug "I don't know what you did, but when Sadie got home, she looked normal again. Thank you, Archie"

I don't know what came through me.

But before I knew it, I started to hug Katherine back.

It was, however, short lived because we soon both pulled out of the hug when we heard Sadie walk in.