Chapter 11

Simon heard some leaves rustling under Piggy and closed his eyes the moment Piggy moved to sit up. Piggy lifted his mass up in search for his spectacles.
He soon realised they were nowhere to be found. Frantically trying to catch his breath he started to have an asthma attack. Realising this Ralph jolted up at the sudden sound of struggling and rushed to Piggy's side trying to calm him down.
“It’s ok we’ll find them! I’ll look for them, just collect yourself.”
Simon noticed Piggy’s shortness of breath and pretends to wake up after Ralph, struggling to sit up from the shooting pain through his side.
Piggy was trying to even his breaths, with Ralph at his side to comfort him. In the corner of his eye Simon saw what he could only assume was a spear belonging to the tribe.
“Isn’t that the kind of spear Jack and his tribe use to hunt? They must've snuck up on us last night and stole your specs.” Piggy's gaze fell upon the spear as he started catching his breath. Even with all this going on Samneric were still asleep. Once Ralph ensured Piggy was calming down, he started to wake Samneric up
"Get up you slothful lot. The tribe snuck up on us last night!” Hearing these words the twins sat up with a rush of adrenaline that tensed their muscles, remembering what the tribe did to Simon.
Piggy drew up his legs.
“You all right Piggy?”
“Is the conch at least still in our possession?”
Ralph trotted down the pale beach and jumped on to the platform. The conch still glimmered by the chief’s seat. He glazed a moment or two, then went back to piggy.
“They didn’t take the conch.”
“Yea they didn’t want the conch, what use would it serve them after all. They came for something else. Ralph- what am I going to do?”
“We ought to take them back.” Ralph paused as if looking for a reason not to go there. “-but first, we must eat.” He gets up expecting others to follow yet no one budged, frozen by the thought of what might happen to them if they step on the tribe’s territory.
“Sam? Eric? Aren’t you two coming?”
Samneric’s mind returned from their dreary imagination and jumped up with excitement to finally fill their stomachs up.
The littluns tagged along to the fruit trees. Getting to them felt like an eternity with the never-ending queries from the littluns
“Look there’s some fruit there! Go get it.” They sprinted off to the fallen tree that had in tact fruit on it.
The littluns happily ran towards the fruit, Samneric paused with disturbance in their eyes.
“What is it?” Ralph asked, noticing their sudden stop.
“Look..” Eric replied with a tremor while pointing towards the patch of padded grass.
“Someone was here.” Added Sam in a concerned fashion.

“Maybe some wild boars?” Ralph said, trying to brush it off knowing he was the one to blame for letting them get away with taking Piggy’s glasses that easily.
“You really think there’s boars this big around here?”
“Could be.”
As the boys collect more fruit to share with the others, Sam stumbles upon a row of footprints left behind by Jack and the other 2.
“Boars here really are different huh.” He jokingly pointed out the footprint. Ralph and Eric turned their heads in Sam’s direction. Seeing the footprints, they looked at each other with concerns of the tribes’ further actions. They head back to their camp where all the boys start eating the freshly gathered fruit.

Ralph observes Piggy as he munches on the fruit, he thinks about the possibilities of what Jack might do when they step near their tribe. They’re Piggy’s glasses so maybe if they’ll be reasonable enough, they’ll light their fire and give them back. Or so Ralph thought.

“I’m going to see Jack about the glasses. Who’s coming with?” There was a long pause as the boys looked at one another, expecting someone to intervene. The twins volunteered on going, taking in consideration the condition in which the others were in.

“So, it’s settled then. There will be an assembly taking place when we come back. There’s a few things to be discussed since the situation has changed.” Indicating towards the tribe.
Ralph and the twins got up and took their departure to where Jack and his hunters were staying at, shamefully overthinking and analysing all possible outcomes.

Presently, Jack was getting praised by all the members of his tribe due to his splendid plan, but his mind was elsewhere, he couldn't stop worrying about the fact that his clay was smudged around his mouth. He has already thought of an excuse for when someone dares to get bold and question it.
“Halt! Who goes there?”
Hearing one of the hunters on top of castle rock, Jack heads to the beach in front of it to asses the situation, only to find out Ralph and the twins were standing in front of it. They had no weapons and seemingly didn’t pose any threat as it was planned by Ralph to appear this way.
“You stole Piggy’s glasses.” Ralph states before Jack intervened.
“So what?” He slowly starts approaching the 3 figures before him as he continues to talk.
“Are you ladies going to do anything about it? We clearly need it more. You don’t even hunt.” Jack raised his spear and made stabbing motions towards the defenceless boys. Samneric scooted behind Ralph seeing that he isn’t afraid. The closer Jack got to them the more alert everyone around him were.
“We kept to our side of the island, yet you still crept up on us like the bloody thief you are.” As Ralph says this, his hand flung up in the direction of the camp. Jack’s face falls pale when he saw the red clay leftover on his palm. Afraid that the others noticed this, Jack's mind went blank, staring at Ralph with a pleading look in his eyes.
“So just give up the glasses and we’ll go.”
“How d’you find out it was us?”  Maurice’s curiosity interrupted the boys.
Afraid of the failure that Jack has encountered during their mission of taking their specs, he brushes the subject off immediately with an irritated tone in his voice.
“Because we’re the only ones left on this stupid island.”
“What about the beast?”
“Don’t be silly, there is no beast. Last time you saw the beast you shanked Simon with your pity sticks. Are you even ashamed of your doings?
Jack’s expression changes and so does the rest of the tribes’. Each remembering the night of the dance.
In an instant, Ralph grabbed onto Jack’s spear making it point away from them. The moment he stepped away from the twins, Roger threw a stone in the twins’ direction. Aiming to miss. The stone lands between the two, making them flinch and separate to either sides. Noticing this, Jack let’s go of the spear as he pulls Sam to his chest and holds a knife to the boy’s throat. Putting him up for display with a displeased expression on his face.
Eric and Ralph froze, afraid to make a move towards Jack as to not aggravate things. Giving him the silent treatment, Jack’s knife digs into Sam’s first layer of skin as Sam struggles to get out of Jack’s grip, he went rigid feeling the blade sting.
“One more step and I won’t be responsible for what will happen. Leave.”
The group of boys start throwing their spears from Castle Rock to scare them into leaving Sam behind.
Ralph grabs Eric and pulls him the opposite direction from where the spears are flying from. Eric still in shock after getting separated from his twin, jolts back towards Sam, Ralph reacting just in time to pull him back as a spear flies over their head. He gives Sam one last look as if to remember him the way he was in case of anything happening to him. They rush through the woods, tree branches hitting them and thorns digging into their legs.