Chapter 3: Flickering Flames

Almond couldn't lie, she was starving.

Probably because she hadn't eaten in so long. Her stomach felt like it had been stabbed.

The rabbit sat awake, staring up at the ceiling. She couldnt sleep and it was probably around one in the morning.

She sighed as her stomach growled once more and stood up, exiting the room and looking through the kitchen.

Maybe that pie would've been a good idea.

She opened the fridge quietly, trying not to wake Toriel or Cuco and looked inside for any leftover pie.

She grabbed a slice of butterscotch cinnamon pie and ate it quietly in the dark with a spare plastic fork.

She was still skeptical of Toriel but being poisoned might be better that starving to death.

She finished the pie and threw away the fork. Cleaning the plate and entered the room again, Frisk staring at her expectantly.

'Where were you?' They signed, looking suspiciously at her.

"None of your business." She whispered back, heading back to bed.

Frisk looked annoyed but didnt press, letting her drift to sleep.

---------

Suddenly she was back at the Flower Kingdom, Crowned princess after winning the competition.

She looked around and saw Cucumber smiling back at her.

She eventually left the stage, hugging her brother.

But the second she did she felt something wash over her.

She couldn't move.

A beat passed until..

"Almond.."

She heard the cold voice of Rosemaster in the back of her mind.

"Kill. Him."

In one swift movement she had stabbed her brother with her sword. She pulled back the sword, letting him fall to the ground.

He stared up at her in disbelief and fear, blood pooling on the ground before collapsing.

She stood there, paralyzed in shock.

Tears formed in her eyes. The sword clattered to the ground.

Sir Carrot and Nautilus looked at her in shock, before running to help Cucumber.

They looked up at her, anger filled their eyes.

Almond ran, tripping and falling.

Suddenly she was back at where the Nightmare Knight attacked them. She clinged onto the edge of the cliff, holding on for dear life.

Sir carrot, Nautilus, and Peridot looked at her in anger and disapointment as she lost her grip.

falling

into

the

void.

-------------

Almond screamed, waking up from the nightmare. She tried to caln down but failed, hyperventilating.

The door burst open, showing Cucumber in the doorway.

Cucumber looked at her in suprise and worry, running over to the bed.

"Almond! Are you okay?"

She backed away, amost falling off the bed. She looked terrified.

"Almond!"

Cucumber hugged her, crying. Almond realized she had been crying too.

Toriel burst into the room, looking worriedly at the two rabbits.

Almond was soon cuddled by both Toriel and Cucumber. This was embarrassing.

After they stopped, Cucumber looked her in the eyes.

"What happened..?"

"...Had a nightmare.."

"What was in about..?" Toriel spoke up softly.

"...Nothing don't worry about it.."

Before Toriel or Cuco could protest, Frisk walked in the room.

They looked at them with confusion and concern before signing breakfast was ready.

---------

They sat in silence for the most part, Toriel sharing a few facts about snails and Cucumber talking about the school he wanted to go to before the quest.

Almond ate her food quietly, accidentally making eye contact with Frisk who looked at her in confusion.

'What was the nightmare about' They signed carefully while Toriel and Cucumber weren't looking.

'It's personal' She signed back, giving them an annoyed look.

Frisk shrugged and went back to eating.

After a beat of silence Frisk signed to Toriel. "Is there a way out of the Ruins?"

Frisk gave Toriel a knowing look, suprising the goat mom.

"I.. don't know quite what you mean."

"Y-yeah!" Almond spoke up. "Frisk makes a good point for once, how do we leave?"

"Almond!" Cucumber whisper yelled worriedly. "Don't be rude-"

"I... I have to go.. Forgive me for this."

Toriel abandoned her food, running out of the room and rushed down the stairs, leaving the children upstairs.

"Toriel!" Cucumber ran after her.

"Cuco get back here" Almond followed.

Frisk sighed, running after them aswell.

They all reached the bottom and saw Toriel in front of a large purple door at the end of the hall, tension in the air.

"This is the exit to the ruins.."
...
"I am going to destroy it.."

The rabbits stilled while Frisk looked at the ground.

------------

Fireballs flew threw the air, Leaving burn marks on the walls.

Frisk and Cucumber dodged, attempting to talk to her.

Almond hesitated. She knew Toriel wasn't trustworthy. She knew it was too good to be true.

Why can't she bring herself to fight her?

Cucumber spoke up. "We don't want to fight you!"

Toriel's face was filled with sadness. She kept firing.

Fireball after fireball, Spare after spare.

"Fight me or run away!"

"We won't fight you!"

They kept sparing and Toriel started missing on purpose.

"..."

'Please let us pass, Mom.' Frisk signed.

Toriel stopped firing. The goat monster looked at the children in front of her sadly.

"I'm sorry my children. If you leave this door, King Asgore.. Will kill you."

She sighed. "But you're strong, and I see I cannot stop you.
...
Just promise me, when you leave through this door.. Please.. Do not come back."

Cucumber's face fell. She walked over to the three and hugged them. She glanced back at them and exited the room.