Chapter Twenty: Cage Fight (Part One)

Chapter Twenty:  Cage Fight (Part One)

With my vampiric abilities strengthened by the blood I had taken from the shapeshifters, I was able to race through the corridors at inhuman speed. And it was necessary. I had very little time to waste.

Every second that Mara remained alive meant the chances of our extinction loomed ever closer. I felt as if a doomsday clock hovered over me, ticking away the minutes to our inevitable deaths.  

But Roran and Adrienne didn't have to be here when it happened.

Pushing myself harder, I barreled past two shapeshifters in my way and didn't bother looking back to see if they were following. If they decided to attack me I would just drain them to unconsciousness like the rest. I couldn't worry about that now.

I reached the cage in less than five minutes and wasn't even out of breath. It was empowering to feel strong again.

As I approached the cage a sick feeling began to writhe in my chest. Adrienne crouched near Roran's seemingly lifeless body with one hand pressed against his chest and the other wiping away the silent tears dripping down her cheeks. Upon recognizing me, her features became dark and angry.

"Nice of you to finally show up," she snarled. "Were you so busy with your boy toy Moroi that you forgot about us? Or did you just not care that I was locked up in here dying?"

A gasp lodged itself in my windpipe, and I choked.

Adrienne was human and Roran had lost his powers. They should have starved to death by now.

"Mara told me you had gone back above," I whispered, trying to make sense of everything. "I didn't know you were here until yesterday..."

"How-how did you survive?" I asked, knowing the answer before she gave it.

Adrienne sniffed derisively and glared at me. "How do you think? Mara turned me. So, yay, we're all vampire sisters now."

She made a gagging sound and mimed throwing up. I wanted to roll my eyes at her childishness, but it seemed too much like something I would have done in her situation.

"But Roran," I began. "Is he...okay?"

Adrienne pointed to the cage door. "Unlock the freaking door, Thea. Then we can chat as we're getting the hell out of here."

I shook myself out of my terrified daze and did as she asked. As soon as the door was open she lifted Roran behind the arms and began dragging him out of the cage. I tried to help, but she wouldn't allow it, waving me off every time I made a move forward.

"Roran, has been through hell," she stated as soon as they were free of the cage. "Because of what he did for you, Mara is convinced that drinking his blood will somehow restore her humanity and she won't listen to anything he says to the contrary."

I cringed at the number of visible bite marks I could see just on his arms and neck. From the looks of the blood staining his clothes there were others that I couldn't see.  Rage unlike anything I had ever felt began to build in my soul and I knew exactly how I would channel it.

All thoughts about killing Mara to save everyone disappeared. As of that moment the sole reason for her death would be Roran's torture and imprisonment. She would pay for this dearly.

"Get him out of here," I commanded Adrienne. "If someone's immortality is the cost then take mine. Just leave."

Adrienne rolled her eyes and plopped down on the ground next to him. "Don't you think I would have done that already if I could? No wonder you're just figuring out we were locked up here. How stupid are you?"

Refusing to waste time dwelling on her petty insults, I took a deep breath and simply asked, "Why?"

"There are two ways you leave here," she explained, saying each word slowly as if I were a child. "Either someone or something, like demons or angels, gets you out or someone living has to rescue you. Because I am now a vampire, I can't leave unless someone lets me out."

"Roran was able to rescue me because he wasn't dead when he was sent here. Moroi was able to leave because the demons got him out," I muttered to myself.

 "Yup," Adrienne replied, sounding bored.

"He's stuck here," I whispered, stroking my hand across his cheek. "Because of me."

Adrienne sighed. "Look, yes, he is stuck here. And it is mostly your fault-"

I glared at her, but couldn't really feel too offended since I agreed. She ignored me and continued.

"But we don't have time for your pity party. It's time to come up with a plan."

Standing up, I nodded and replied, "I have a plan. And if I'm successful I might be able to get you both out of here."

She stood up as well and brushed her hands off on her pants. "Okay, so what do I need to do?"

"Protect Roran," I demanded, giving her a hard look. "You're a vampire now, and I don't think there's any going back for you, so embrace it. Use it. Do whatever you have to do. Just keep him alive."

Adrienne closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When she opened them again she looked determined and resolute. "Okay. But what are you going to do?"

I bent down and placed a kiss on Roran's cheek. "I'm going to kill Mara."

I watched as she shifted from foot to foot and bit the inside of her cheek before saying, "Are you sure you can? I mean she's Looney Tunes. Like the incurable type of crazy. And from what I've seen she's really smart and powerful too."

"Yeah, thanks for the pep talk, coach," I snapped in response.

She winced, but shrugged.

"Just keep Roran safe, okay? I'll take care of Mara and everything else."

Before she could reply another voice joined the conversation.

"Brave words coming from a shut-in with no backbone or brain to speak of."

Mara swept through the door as if she hadn't a care in the world, staring me down as if daring me to make a move.

"That was who I used to be," I stated. "I haven't been that girl for a long time, you made sure of that."

She placed a palm against her chest and tried to look innocent. "Me? I'm sure I have no idea what you're referring to."

Baring my fangs at her I snarled through clenched teeth, "Cut the crap. We both know the truth, Mara. This ends. Now."

I watched as her own fangs and claws descended.

"You're right," she agreed. "It's the end. Of me and of you. All of you. And since it's become obvious I can't leave here, why not have a little fun before we all die?"

Her eyes shifted to black right before she pounced, but I wasn't quick enough to dodge her. As she tackled me to the ground our momentum rolled us right through the opening of the cage and I grinned as I heard the door clang shut behind us.

...

Okay, I was going to keep going but I've run out of time. It looks like there will be three - four more chapters instead of two like I originally planned. Sorry about that. I may try to add more later if I get time. I will try and update sooner if I don't get a chance to add more. I hope you enjoy this. Please comment and vote if you like it.