Chapter Ten - Allison

After the Gryffindor vs. Slytherin Quidditch game, my sixteenth birthday passes. It was a quiet affair since it was a Monday. I celebrated with my friends and in the evening I had Quidditch practice since we had a match against Hufflepuff that weekend. Roger Davies graduated last year, so Cho has taken over as Captain and Eddie Carmichael, Padma's boyfriend, has taken over as our third Chaser.

We ended up beating Hufflepuff in our match, leaving us all excited for our match against Slytherin in the hopes that we'll win that one as well.

The rest of November passes as I focus on my schoolwork and somehow I've developed a comfortable friendship with Blaise where we study and chat together in the library. It started when I went to the library for some studying, but it was one of those days where the library was packed with people. I headed to the back of the library where I normally study, but when I moved around the corner I found Draco there with Pansy Parkinson. I quickly retreated before either of them could spot me and started searching the library for a new spot to sit.

I know seeing him with Pansy there shouldn't hurt me that much, but it does. I did take Blaise there after all. It's just a public space, but I can't help thinking of all the moments I've shared with Draco there.

"Hey, Allison, over here," a voice calls, and I turn to find Blaise sitting at a table, one open spot next to him. "Oh, thank God," I say, making my way over to him and taking the seat next to him. "I thought I was going to have to head back and work in the Ravenclaw common room."

"It's no problem, but I thought you'd be working in the back of the library. I never see you out here," Blaise says. I start pulling at my cardigan nervously. "Draco's kind of back there right now," I say. "And he's with Pansy."

"Oh, I see," he replies. "Well, you're welcome to study next to me wherever you want to," Blaise offers. "And for whatever it's worth, I find Pansy just as irritating as you do and I'm sure Draco also feels that way."

"Thanks, Blaise," I say. He smiles and I smile back, the two of us returning to our books and parchment, and that was the start of our friendship.

Now, snow swirls against the icy windows once more and Christmas is approaching fast. Hagrid has already single-handedly delivered the usual Twelve Christmas trees for the Great Hall. Garlands of holly and tinsel have been twisted around the banisters of the stairs. Everlasting candles glow from inside the helmets of suits of armour and great bunches of mistletoe have been hung at intervals along the corridors.

Blaise walks down the hallways of Hogwarts with me, something Draco never did and it causes me to realize how many girls are obsessed with him. Large groups of girls in our year and ones that are younger and older converge underneath the mistletoe as we pass on the way to classes. Michael, Padma and Mandy also walk with us and on our way to Transfiguration, Mandy says, "I think the girls are almost as obsessed with you as they are with Harry."

"What are you talking about?" Blaise asks, once more totally oblivious to the many girls that fawn over his good looks. "Do you really think all these girls are converging under the mistletoe to get with Michael?" she asks. "Hey!" Michael exclaims. Mandy laughs at him.

"Plenty of girls like you Michael, don't worry, but Blaise is one of Slughorn's favourites and he doesn't yet have a date to Slughorn's Christmas party. Do you?" she asks him. He shakes his head. "Anyways, Ginny told me that Hermione told her that plenty of girls have been talking in the bathroom about slipping Harry a love potion so that he'll take them," Mandy says.

"And what does that have to do with me?" Blaise asks. "Apparently, once Harry gets his date, they're going to set their sights on you. So, unless you want to be under the influence of many love potions at once, I think you should find a date soon."