parting flame

How you'd even found yourself in this situation was something you'd never understand.

But even still, here you were sitting across from the great king himself - to be married.

That's correct, married to the 'great' dragon king, of all people - with his bleeding red eyes boring into you from across the fire you both sat at, dressed heavily in his cape and jewelry. You noticed the looks he gave you - just he noticed the looks you gave him.

Disgusted and stern.

It wasn't a situation either one of you wanted. But you'd caved - for the good of your people. You had no idea why he'd agreed though - he clearly didn't want to be there with you.

You stared at the dirt in front of you in silence, the priest's chants going in one ear and out the other. Supposedly your wedding day would've been a happy occasion, right? Two souls being connected through a bond that couldn't be broken.

(Though you'd heard that humans had decided to eradicate that ritual, and marriages could be broken easily now.

There was never a moment where you longed to be of human born, but then.)

Yet here you were, saddened by the fact you were in a country that wasn't your own, being forced to marry a stranger you didn't know, and then share a bed with him every night. Too many tears had already flowed in the days prior, leaving you feeling empty and hollow as the priest began to add more to the fire (supposedly signifying the growth of your relationship as you grew with each other). You could only stare wistfully into the flames, watching as they rose and fell in turbulent harmony with each other.

The priest cleared his throat suddenly, and you stared up at him - watching as he gestured for you to give him your hand over the flame.

You solemnly reached across, feeling the weight and heat of the fire beneath, as he shifted your hand to be placed in Bakugou's.

The both of you stared at each other, hand barely even touching the other's over the flame - which you could see the priest frown at but not stop his chanting.

One of Bakugou's finger's nudged at yours, sliding itself into the crevice between your index and middle finger before the rest of his fingers became clasped into yours, palm to palm; the both of you squeezing each other's hand in intensity forced you to look up at each other, looking for something in the other's eyes as you glowered.

The intensity of the flame became less suddenly, as the fire naturally parted for your hands to remain connected over its original place.

It was something you'd only ever heard stories of, and never seen in person - the fire parting way for those of dragon blood to connect with each other: symbolising how their bond was unbreakable, even to something as destructible as fire.

The priest smiled, his eyes closing as he finished off his final sayings:

"May the great heavens look upon you both and protect the flame connecting you.

I now present you, two children of dragon blood, to the great flame of the universe.

Man and Wife."