before you go

it was a day before skylar left for university. she had decided to go in person for the semester as it was a very vital one. when they started university, crystal's singing career had just taken off and so, she had chosen the option of online school. skylar, being skylar wouldn't leave her best friend's side and so, she took up online schooling as well. but what worked for one did not work for the other. crystal was excelling at university as online schooling suited her. she could create a barrier between work and leisure even in the same place. but skylar found it harder to concentrate. they both had spoken about this topic more than once. and decided that offline was the way to go for skylar.

not one person looked forward to the day, though. they would all miss her. mainly crystal and corbyn. to take their minds off of this, they both had planned a going away party for their best friend. yesterday crystal was out at the movies with zach, and she knew that she had feelings toward him. what kind? she didn't know. did she see him as a friend? well, certainly. did she see him as a brother or as a possible lover? she didn't know this. she thought at first that she had a crush on him. but she would want him to be happy with whoever he's happy with. does that mean that she doesn't like him or that she's just mature enough to let him be happy? even though it wouldn't be with her.

maybe she was... mature enough to see him happy. because all that mattered to her was his happiness. she would never want to see his smile fade. oh, that beautiful, wonderful smile. it could make crystal melt into a puddle of sunflowers. maybe he was smiling at someone else, in a way that she wanted him to smile at her but... at least he was smiling. she didn't know just what it was that made her feel that way.

she thought about telling corbyn about this while they were hanging up the banners and balloons. corbyn, he was a guy. he knew how guys were. crystal and skylar always consulted corbyn whenever they had a crush. and he helped them, it also worked the other way 'round. the girls helped him too. so crystal just decided to ask him. hopefully, he wouldn't be angry. and for that reason, she made it subtle.

"corbs... what would you say if i fell for one of your bandmates?" crystal asked, as she was holding up the 'we will miss you' banner on one side as corbyn held up the other.

"well, they're all good lads... and i wouldn't mind it but, i think that it would be very difficult for me to get to terms with... i mean they're like my brothers. and you're my best friend. and if you date and do break up for whatever reason, it would mess my life up. and if they hurt you, or if it is the other way around; i wouldn't know what to do. but one thing's for sure, if anybody hurts you, i will bury them alive," corbyn replied, glancing at the young girl with furrowed eyebrows. what was she onto now?

"oh," crystal replied. short and sweet. yet bitter and sour.

"why'd you ask such a question?" corbyn asks, as they finish hanging up the banner.

"i 'ont know, just curious," and this is when corbyn knew that something was wrong with his best friend; but he decided to let it go since he did not want to approach this topic on today of all days

by 5 p.m., all the arrangements were done. food, drinks, decorations, music, karaoke, everything. moreover at the end of the night, they planned a barbecue; skylar's favorite. crystal and corbyn had gotten time to do this as the boys had agreed to take skylar to spend the day at a luxury resort. skylar was happy, for the offer but she wasn't as enlightened when she found out that her best friends wouldn't be joining her on her last day.

"alright! it's time to head home. sky, we're gonna drop you off at your house and both you and crys can get ready and head over to ours. we're gonna watch a movie and order pizza," jonah said, hugging the girl by his side. he had developed a liking toward her. no, he liked her. like, he like-liked her. she did too. and that's why she was always either on the phone with him, or she was with him.