Chapter One - Tabitha

My eyes opened to the sound of my alarm clock blaring right next to my head. I scrambled to turn it off so that I wouldn't rouse my step monster from his slumber.
     I quickly grabbed my brush from the nightstand beside me and began to run it through my long black hair.
     "Good Morning," I mumbled to myself.
     I looked across the room and watched my reflection in my cracked mirror. My long black hair was slowly returning to its normal state as I brushed. I wound it into a bun and fastened it above my head.
     Quickly I found some loose black leggings (that were much too big) a tight black long sleeve shirt, and a T-shirt. Still standing in view of the mirror I quickly removed my pajama shirt and pulled a plain black bra from my dresser.
     As I moved to clasp it into my body I happened to glance in the mirror. Scars stretched across my torso, each one telling a horrific story of its own. My body was marred by what had happened to me.
     My fingers grazed across a long scar that trailed from my left hip diagonally across my torso and ended just below my right breast. This one was the newest of many I had been given. A stray tear slid down my cheek and I angrily wiped it away.
     Some days I found it so hard to look at myself. I wondered what my life would have been like if my parents were still alive. Would I still be in high school, planning my prom? Would I have a boyfriend or friends in general?
     I didn't call my step monster that for fun, he truly was a monster. I quickly put on the long sleeve shirt, and then the shirt over it. I then put on the stretched-out leggings allowing them to fall loosely around my legs. As long as I didn't wear anything "tempting" I'd be okay for a little while.
     I quickly ran to the restroom attached to my room and washed my face. I applied eyeliner and eye shadow and made my way out of the bathroom. I pulled on my worn-out converses and turned to leave my room.
     Before I could reach the door, it was slammed open. A fearful gasp escaped my lips. Instantly I dropped to my knees. "G-good morning sir," I mumbled.
     "Is it?" My step monster growled as he approached. He smelled like alcohol. Was he already drunk? It was only five in the morning. "Because my breakfast isn't ready yet," he continued, gripping my bun and forcing my head to look up at him.
     "Yes sir," I mumbled. "I was just about to come down and make it for you."
    "Good girl, maybe I'll reward you later," he mumbled, slapping me across the face and throwing me down onto the ground. 'No no no,' I thought to myself. 'His rewards are never good for me.' I tried to readjust to show him I took my punishment and understood. "Have it ready in five minutes. We have some things to discuss." With that, he left.
    I quickly stood, raising my hand to touch my hot cheek. This one was definitely going to bruise. After breakfast, I'd need to apply makeup to it.
     I quickly rushed downstairs and began making his breakfast. I made him his usual over-easy eggs and toast. I placed the finished meal on the table and quickly washed the spatula and pan before he could enter. 
    He always hated when there were dishes in the sink. I think that's why his wife went out of her way to leave them there. I don't think she realized I was always punished for it.

~*~ Author's Note ~*~

  Thank you so much to everyone who joined us for our first chapter. Writing on Wattpad is something that is new to me, though I have been writing for many years. Please leave a comment letting me know what you think, and please vote if you want to read more. 

Thank you!

~Clara Nightshade