.

"Sectumsempra!" My wand, formerly pointed at Amycus' back, shot out a burst of power. It hit the Potter that Lupin was accompanying. An ear flew down, blood trailing behind it.

Amycus and the others laughed. One yelled something that I could not hear.

I pulled down my hood. 'I didn't mean it! Please see that Remus! I missed, slipped!'
Lupin looked back at me.

I saw the hatred in his eyes. Nothing had changed. Not a thing. After all these years since school, he still hates me. Even more so because he thinks I killed Dumbledore.

The rest of the chase was blurred and unfocused. All the guilt from the past seventeen years coming back to my attention. Lily, James, Albus, Sirius, Barbage, all my fault!

The Dark Lord ordered me to retrieve Mad-Eye's eye. Mad-Eye too. One more person I should have, could have, saved.

Mad-Eye would get a proper burial. I would at least be able to do that much for the ex-Auror.

Mad-Eye had fallen into a forest. His wand was lying on the ground, under the tree that had caught him, broken in two.

I transfigured a fallen tree into a box, large enough for what it was needed for, before using magic to untangle the limp form from the tree. Gently I moved it into the box.

I almost didn't dare touch him, I had held him in awe for so long that it felt wrong to see him like this. Lifeless. Still.

I put his wand in his cold hands, my heart and mind still afraid that this was a trick. Somehow he had to be alive.

But no shout of 'Constant Vigilance!' Came from the scarred man.

And I had been ordered to take his magical eye.

'I cannot!' My heart screamed silently. 'I must.' My head told it.

The eye was still spinning lazily. I couldn't bear to look at it or him. My trembling hand reached out and pulled it out. It was warm and wet. Feeling it in my palm made me want to gag.

I conjured a lid for the coffin, shrunk it, and put the small rectangle in my pocket.

I disapperated to the spot where the Dark Lord was waiting and gave him the eye, even as it left my hand I wanted to argue, demand it back. As I had once argued with Albus, but I knew better now. No one listens to arguments about things they want.

Albus Dumbledore had more than taught me that. As had James Potter before him.

No one has ever really listened to me.

For I have had seven failures. And I made the seven Potter's who flew tonight.