4. First Fight to First Kiss

As it was the month of July I became busy with filing tax, going to client places for tax and company audit. I became so busy that I couldn't make time even to call and talk to her properly. By the end of July my results were out and I passed with good marks and also got an All India Ranking. Everyone in the family was too happy including her. After the results I was promoted from assistant to employee. I was given new clients and I have new work pressures. I have to be very careful in doing things. Whether it is giving financial advice or going for auditing. I have 3 article assistants working under me now and I have to be an example for them.

One day I came home late, it was mid august. I was in a very busy running around with new clients; I had not even had my lunch. By the time I came back home I was drained and was too angry. Meanwhile Rajkumari had called me in evening to ask something about a subject as I was busy me told her the same and cut the call telling I will call her in night. She waited whole night for me to call back but I forgot about it and slept. In the morning, when I opened my phone I got some whatsapp messages from her saying "good morning", " What happened? Are you ok?", "you angry on me?" etc......

I was so pressured with my work so much and I wanted my own space to sort out things. So I called her and asked her about why she called and solved her doubts. Later I told her, "I need a break, I need to sort things out. I will be busy so I can't talk to you. I don't want you to be my punching bag. I can't afford to hurt to. I need some time. When I am angry I might talk nonsense and shout at you. I think you understand what I am saying." I don't know why I told her all this but she didn't get angry on me or broke down or do something else. She just laughed and said, "Ok dear, I can understand that. Even I think we need a break. I will not call you and disturb you. You calm down a bit. Sort your things out. Don't worry about me. But, whenever you want I will be there for you, always. Okay? When you are done come back to me. Remember I will be waiting for you...."

The whole august and September we did not talk to each other. By that time I got used to all these work pressures. I sorted out all my priorities and problems. Mean time our parents started shopping for the marriage. They don't know anything about what had happened between us. Though she never called me she used to call my home and ask the maid about me and my wellbeing. For these whole 2 months even though I wanted to talk I couldn't. I used to be late daily. Sometimes I used to come back in the mid night.

It was 29th sept. I clearly remember the time it was 11p.m when I came back home. Today I had finished all my work. Seeing my performance I was given an increment in my salary. As soon as I came home I called her, yes I called her though I thought she might not pick the call or be angry on me even if she pick. But she picked the call and said hello, as if nothing had happened between us. By her voice I got to know that she was sleeping. But as soon as she heard my voice she woke up and started "oh God!!!! Mr. busy is calling me? Then today it will rain." And she started laughing. I was silent feeling sad. She stopped laughing and asked whether I was ok had my dinner or not and talked with me for some time suddenly I broke down saying I was sorry for hurting her by not talking to her. She just said it was ok and she can understand that. She consoled me and then I told her about the increment. She was happy. We talked for some more time. I again asked sorry. And cut the call. That night I slept calmly. I was feeling as if the burden in my heart was slowly moved away.

After 30th I was given a week leave as a compensation of working on weekends during audit. So I went home, that night to surprise everyone. As soon as I came home my Amma was not surprised seeing me. She started shouting on me for not calling and talking to them. Along with her even my Granma started scolding me. I was happy to see them scolding. It's been a long time that nobody scolded me. I got fresh and had my dinner. Later I called her and we talked for a long time. She said she was alone home as her grandparents were taken to 'gruhapravesha' of her aunt and would be back after a week. Except her everyone had gone there, she had her internal tests. She had holiday next day so I asked her to go to my home but she said she was having lots of assignments to complete.

In the morning I woke up very late. It was nearing noon. I took bath and went down to drawing room calling out for Amma. She was busy preparing the list of people to be invited for marriage. She asked me to heat the breakfast and have it. Later I went out with friends. I have 3 best friends we are chaddi buddies from 1st std, Aneesh is studying medicine, Reyaansh is working in police and Sunith is looking after his father's Jewelery business. We all gathered in Sunith's shop where he showed the designs what my parents had ordered for Rajkumari and me. I came back home by 9 but I remembered that she said she was alone and its 3rd Oct tomorrow which means it's her birthday. So I had my dinner and meanwhile ordered a cake and left to her place. On the way I bought gifts it was 10 when I left the shop. By 11.40 I reached her grandparents house. From outside I called her and started talking. When it was 11.55 I knocked the door and she was as usual scared to open the door thinking it was some stranger. She saw from window I was still in call and she happily shouted and opened the door and hugged me and scolded me why I didn't tell her before that I was coming.

Exactly at 12 I wished her and sang happy birthday for her. Her friends also called and wished her mean while I hid the gift in the house. She was so happy even she didn't express it her eyes showed it all and I was happy for her. We cut the cake which I bought and I gave her the card. As the gift was hidden she had to search for it. After searching for half an hour she was successful in finding the gift. She carefully removed the wrapper. It was a box full of tiny little ceramic dolls of cute princesses and princes. She was so happy that she just came and kissed me, ya it was bit awkward because it was our first kiss and thats not how i wanted it to be. I had not thought that she would do that.

We sat in the terrace together in a blanket and stared at the stars in the cold night. She was the first to speak, "it was one of the best birthdays. Thank you dear". Though I wanted to tell her many things I preferred to be silent. She came closer and sat next to sharing my blanket , i hugged her . She continued, "I hope everything will be perfect, in my life. You know Na I hate sad endings. Two more months and I will be your wife. Soon my life will change." I could see her eyes shining bright while she said all these to me. That night we barely slept. We were talking to each other.

As the next day was Saturday she had no much important classes so she bunked the classes. We went to Chamundi Betta early in the morning to get Pooja. And we went to an old age home. We got an opportunity to serve many old grandpa and grandma. Later we went to an orphanage. It was always her habit to celebrate with those kids. We played with those kids and had our lunch with them. Our day was well spent. When we came back home Amma prepared her favorite dishes. In the night she stayed with us only.

Amma was busy showing all the sarees she had bought for the family members. She was even explaining her some customs and rituals to be done after marriage in our home. Seeing them together I felt so happy. I knew she will be adjusting very easily to my parents but this was more than my expectation.

After all the celebrations I too left to Bangalore and as usual we got busy with things. On the other hand our parents were busy with giving invitations to all friends and relatives. My grandpa was happy seeing all the arrangements. All our whatsaap groups were filled with wishes and with our marriage discussions. Her exam timetable was out and we were bit relaxed as it will get over on 19th dec. Soon her semester exams also started and we talked less.