Prologue

Far away, as north, as it can be, stood an ancient enchanted forest, but its magic was not that of goblins spells and lost fairies.  It was protected by the most powerful spirits of all– those of air, fire, water, and earth – the power of nature.  For centuries, it has been home to the mysterious Northuldra people, who took advantage of the forest gifts.  Despite the differences between the inhabitants of the meadow and their neighboring kingdom, Arendelle, whose civilians lived without magic, their friendship was promised and a staunch ally was formed.  As a gesture of goodwill, King Runeard of Arendelle built the Northuldra a mighty sturdy dam to strengthen their waters.  The beloved king, along with his son Agnarr, and the knights were invited to the celebration in the Enchanted Forest.

As much as he has greeted countless nobles and royalties, it was the first time Agnarr encountered indigenous peoples whose hospitality brought warmth to his heart.  They showed him their way of living.  With the help of the water spirit, Arendellan soldiers were able to travel on water, not to mention the fire spirit disguised as an adorable lizard who lit a fire for boiling water.  How the Northuldrans managed to not only live in peace but in harmony with nature fascinated the future king, who made a silent vow to protect this place at all cost when he succeeded his father's throne.

When the Arendellan visitors were watching reindeer racing and immersed in rounds of applause and cheering, Agnarr noticed a floating object from afar, piquing his curiosity.  As he approached that "thing", he realized it was a Northuldran girl who appeared to be about his age, or perhaps one or two years younger than him.  Her auburn hair became tangled in the wind while her giggles echoed in the air, which brought an unintended smile to Agnarr's face.

Sensing Agnarr's presence, the girl asked the wind to let her down.  She put her hands behind her back and turned to face Agnarr, " you know it's kinda creepy to spy on a girl, right?"

Agnarr was taken aback by her question.  As a royalty, he was trained to express his thoughts eloquently without a hint of uncertainty, but at that moment he was lost for words and forgot his mannerism, for the first time.

His uneasiness was laughed off by the girl, " I'm just kidding.  Name's Iduna.  What's yours?"  Iduna extended her hand to him.  He shook her hand and put his other hand behind his head, " I am Pri- I am Agnarr.  Just Agnarr." 

His royal highness did not know why he had to hide his identity.  Never had he encountered a commoner who approached him in such a casual way.  Most of them saw him as an authority figure to be respected instead of a boy behind the facade.  Maybe he had always wanted to be treated like a normal teenager.

"Okay, just Agnarr.  I bet you're curious why I can fly.  Let me tell you a secret — I have superpowers."  Iduna said proudly.  Amazed and bewildered at the same time, Agnarr asked, " Wow!  I thought the Northuldran themselves do not wield magical powers.  Are you by any chance exceptional or something?  Ah I know!  You are a desir ( a female spirit )!"

Iduna couldn't help laughing when she saw how the young Arendellan completely took it in.  "Ha ha ha ha...No, silly.  I'm too ordinary to be magical. "  She snorted, "Actually the wind spirit, Gale, is my friend.  She lifts me above the ground so that I can fly.  With her help, anyone can fly too." 

"So, I can fly too?"  Agnarr had never been so eager and excited to try something new.  " If only she sees you as a friend.  Do you wanna give it a tr–?"  Just before Iduna finished her sentence, Gale cut her off by playfully lifting Agnarr from the Earth.  She chuckled as the impish spirit covered his head with his dark green blazer, "mmm... she likes you."

Agnarr has never felt so at peace, away from all the royal duties and ridiculous rules, just immersing himself in the moment and sunshine.  "Woohoo!  I'm defying gravity!"  He could imagine his father's shocking and infuriating face upon seeing the improper behavior of the young prince, but for now, he was not the crowned prince of Arendelle; he was just a teenage boy enjoying the time of his life.