Chapter 5

Deck pulls off and we all hang on tight since we can't exactly wear our seatbelts. As I sit uncomfortably and Deck swerves the car I have to wrap an arm around his shoulders to keep myself steady. I hate this. The last thing I wanted was to be sitting with Deck in a car, I didn't even want to see him, not after everything he did. "What the hell did you two do?" he asks us. "Really? A lecture, now" I answer in disbelief. "I injected myself, I didn't have a choice he was gonna take it" Hattie justifies before Deck swerves again as he manoeuvres through traffic to avoid the men following us on bikes.

We continue driving through the London streets and Hattie points out some men approaching on our right. Hobbs points his gun to them, with his arm in front of all our faces and shoots at them causing them to fall off their bikes. They quickly recover and follow us again. We approach a busy road but Deck doesn't slow down at all and I look at him unsure. He continues through the traffic and through two perfectly aligned gaps safely. As we come to the end of a street Brixton appears on his bike and fires at us. Deck quickly makes a U turn and we head back the way we came, towards the men that were following us. "Might be time for some curls" Hattie says to Hobbs and he punches through the window and grabs a man and holds him until he hits a wall. "Very good" Hattie comments, clearly impressed.

"Wanna tell me what in the fresh turkey hell we're dealing with here?" Hobbs eventually asks and honestly, I'd like to know too. "Long story. He's a ghost, he's supposed to be dead. 8 years ago I put a bullet through his brain" Deck quickly explains. "Great" I answer sarcastically. "So we're been chased by the terminator" Hobbs answers and I chuckle. We approach another busy road and 2 lorries are passing each other. "I don't think he's gonna make it" Hattie states and I look at her in agreement. "Well, I don't think he can see over the steering wheel" Hobbs adds. "Buckle up fat boy, I'm gonna save your life again" Deck replies frustrated. "You sure about this Deck?" I ask as we get closer. "I got this Jess" he answers confidently. He drifts the car underneath the gaps in the lorries and we come out the other end with Brixton still on our tail. He fires at our tyres and we approach some double decker buses. Deck makes a U turn around the front of the first bus and causes Brixton to drive up the car like a ramp. He falls through the other bus as we drive around it and speed off.

Once we're at a safe distance Deck pulls over and we all get out. Deck offers to help me out but I ignore his hand and get out myself. "Rides over, we gotta lose this car" he explains as we all make our way to the street. We look up to see the news and mine, Deck and Hobbs' faces on the big screen. It makes sense, they want the three of us out of their way so that they can get to Hattie. "Who the hell are these guys?" Hattie asks. "Eteon. They're a secret tech cult, with a mercenary army and plenty of dark money and delusions of saving the world by augmenting the human race" Deck explains simply. "Apparently, they control the media as well" I add. Hobbs adds that he's heard rumours about these people, they're considered a myth. "I've seen first hand how real they are" Deck replies. First hand? "If you don't fit into their plans, you've already dug your own grave" he adds. This isn't working in our favour.

"Let's get to the nearest lockdown facility-" Hobbs starts but Deck interrupts him. I roll my eyes at them arguing. Deck explain Brixton's capabilities to Hobbs, "He ain't ever gonna stop. Besides, that's my sister. Family business. Is your name Shaw? Nah. She's going nowhere with you" he yells at Hobbs. "When it comes to the fate of the world, it becomes my business. She's not a Shaw" he answers before pointing at me. Deck looks at me and I remain silent. I don't need to prove to this 'Hobbs' that I should be involved in this. I'm helping Hattie whether he wants me to or not. Deck doesn't say anything and Hobbs decides to continue. "Either way, I don't care if she's your sister" he says. Hattie and I look at each other before nodding and walking away from the childish men. "She ain't going anywhere" Hobbs continues before both him and Deck ask us where we are going. "I'm going away, I don't have time for your alpha male shit right now" Hattie replies. "You're both idiots, you clearly can't work together so you're useless to us" I add to her point as the two men in front of us just glance at each other. "So we're going to find the man who can help get this thing out of my system" Hattie explains and we turn to continue our hunt for the scientist. "You mean this man?" Hobbs suddenly asks us. He explains that he has one hell of a lead and we make our way to a newspaper stand.

While Hobbs and Deck get the scientist, Hattie and I stay hidden around the corner. "You ok?" Hattie asks. "You know, after seeing Deck again" she clarifies. I sigh before looking at her. "I'm ok. I've missed him but I'm still mad at him" I answer her, trying to keep the conversation short so it doesn't lead to me crying. Hattie clearly realises this and rests a hand on my shoulder. "You're allowed to hit him" she adds and we both laugh before we're signalled to follow the men and the scientist.