Fire

As Gilda rushed the younger children outside, Anna and Nat helped you take out the younger babies that couldn't walk, or could barely and would probably head towards the fire.

"Go ahead," you whispered to the two, once there were only two left.

"Get there safe," Anna said. You nodded, and the two ran out of Grace Field to go find the others at the planned spot.

"Alright Phil, c'mon," you called out, as you picked up Carol.

He nodded, coming out from behind a crib, where he was hiding. "You all will be alright, right?"

"I promise we will," you hurried, picking up Carol, having her wrapped in a blanket. "Even if we're late, I promise you we will make it back, okay? We'll make sure to take you back. Make sure to keep studying alright?"

"Yeah, I will," he nodded vigorously. "For you and Emma. And for Ray and Don and Gilda and Anna and- and everyone."

"That's my Phil," you grinned, despite the fire, the smoke you breathed, the burning meat you could smell from here. "Let's hurry, Carol's going to struggle in this air."

He nodded and the two of you got out of there. You saw the children, five and under, huddled together. "Phil, take Carol."

"Huh?"

"They shouldn't see me. We shouldn't confuse them. Just tell them we're all safe okay? Tell them I love them, and I'll see them again, okay? Promise me."

He took Carol from your hands and nodded, tearing up.

"Promise me you'll come back first."

"I promise, I already did, and I will, I promise."

"I promise too. I love you Y/N-chan."

You kissed the top of his head and rested your hand on Carol's. "I love you too. Tell Carol stories about us, alright?" You grinned. "Make me sound the coolest."

He bit his lip, sincerely. "You are the coolest."

You hugged him one last time, struggling to leave him, Carol and the other children.

You couldn't stop your voice from shaking.

"Bye Phil."

The fire crackled.

As you ran away, Phil looked after you, and smiled, struggling to keep Carol in his arms.

"Look Carol," he whispered. "New Years wishes do come true. They're going to be happy now."