twenty three

By their second day sailing through the waters of the locker Six began to be sure that they couldn't just sail far enough until they would magically be out and back into the normal world. That would have been too simple. There was something they had to do and they needed to figure it out quickly because they were beginning to run out of supplies and the locker was affecting them all, especially Jack who had been there for far longer than the rest of them.

Jack wasn't himself. Six had noticed that there was something off about him right away but with every passing moment she spent with him in the locker she noticed it more. He had always been crazy and drunk but never quite how he was during the few days they spent trying to get out of the locker.

There was no wind in the locker, no movement on the water, everything was still. How the ship seemed to continue moving at a slow steady pace through the water Six wasn't sure.

They were all tired. No one had gotten proper rest since arriving in the locker and SIx found herself wondering constantly how Jack had survived multiple months there. It was different for him because he had actually died while they had just gotten themselves there was what Six had decided to tell herself. She had spent a lot of time trying to decide if they were considered dead while in the locker. The fall they had taken surely should have killed them, maybe it had and that was how they had arrived to the locker or maybe it was magic of the locker that kept them alive to be in the locker. Six wasn't sure and tried not to think about it because they were there to get out and she had decided she had to keep her mind on getting out or away from it all entirely.

"No water. Why is all but the rum gone" groaned Pintel as he tilted a water barrel over his head, trying to get any last drop of water that might be left in it.

Holding a bottle over his mouth, Gibbs got a single drop before the bottle is empty. "Rum's gone too" he said as he lowered the bottle away from his mouth.

"If we can not escape these doldrums before night, I fear we will sail on trackless seas, under starless skies, doomed to roam the reach between worlds, forever" said Tia from the spot at the railing where she could be found standing most of the time.

"With no water, forever looks to be arriving a mite soon" stated Gibbs as he put the empty bottle down nearby.

"Why doesn't he do something?" Will asked Six as he looked towards Barbossa who was standing a little ways behind the wheel doing seemingly nothing.

"Think he's frustrated. Probably thought he'd be able to get us out. Or maybe he doesn't want to get out. Hard to tell what his plan could be or if he has one." Six shrugged in response. She wished she could read Barbossa and easily get his plan and thoughts from him like she could Jack but she couldn't. All she understood when looking at Barbossa was that he didn't seem to care to help them any longer. "Maybe he's been around us for too long. Driving him mad being near us, me" she added, trying to give any options she could think of. She wanted to be able to be useful and answer Will's questions but the truth was she was just as confused, curious and lost as he was most of the time.

Will hummed softly in response as he looked at the charts "Over the edge, back, over again, sunrise sets, flash of green" he read off of it before looking up in confusion and thought.

"There's no sense to it. Sunrises don't set" pointed out Gibbs.

"And the green flash happens at sunset, not sunrise," Six added.

"Over the edge" Gibbs grumbled to himself as he walked away from the small table "driving me bloody well over the edge"

"Up is down" Jack read as he leaned over to look at the chart. "That's maddeningly unhelpful. Why are these things never clear?" he exclaimed to no one in particular. "What?" he asked suddenly, his eyes looking towards his shoulder "Come again?"