Chapter 12: Lunch

Robyn

We never went to dinner or anything like that, but Christian and I got coffee tons of times in between, and each time, he'd get the iced chai like me even though it was always too sugary for him. But today, he asked me to lunch. Well, more like abducted me to lunch.

Christian: I'm outside.

Robyn: What?

Christian: I'm outside your studio. We're having lunch.

Robyn: We are?

Christian: I'm taking you to lunch. Come down.
Christian: Please.

Robyn: Please? My my. That is new.

Christian: I'll do a lot more than say please for you, Robyn.

Robyn: Like what?

Christian: Come here and you'll find out.

And how could a girl deny an invitation like that? With a blush on my cheeks, I adjusted my simple yellow floral dress and white cardigan—internally groaning at not wearing something nicer—and ran out the door like there was a fire on my heels.

Christian was double parked on the street outside, creating an unforgivable traffic jam behind him. People honked and flipped him off, but he didn't seem to care, staring down at the phone in his hand through tinted shades.

I groaned in frustration and hid my face as I flung the door open and threw myself in the passenger seat.

"Are you the sole cause of New York traffic?" I asked as I pulled my seatbelt on.

"Probably," he shrugged, unbothered, pulling out of the street. "Hello to you, too."

Twisting in my seat, I took in today's charcoal gray suit that somehow made him look even bigger.

"Ciao," I smiled. "Don't you have work?"

"Even CEOs need lunch breaks, Robyn. Don't you?"

"Flexible hours. Perks of not being a CEO, I guess."

"Among others," he said, pulling his shades off and giving me a real, genuine, smile from the heart. I wanted to melt into the leather of his seats.

"What if I had a meeting or something?" I asked.

"Did you?"

"No. But what if I had?"

He shrugged. "I'd wait for you. I'll always wait for you."

I blinked. Something about that made my heart flutter and I quelled the feeling as quickly as I could.

"You need to give a girl some warning, you know?" I mumbled, blowing some hair out of my face, crossing my arms on my chest, and diverting my attention from his ridiculous perfectness.

"You're here, aren't you?"

"Yeah, but I look like a kid, and you look like sex on legs."

"Oh?" He trained his amused gaze on me, smirking and looking sinfully sexy while doing so.

"Don't be coy, you know it's true."

"No, you should definitely tell me more about it," he said with complete sincerity.

"So arrogant, Christian." I swatted his arm lightly. "I see that part hasn't changed."

"How do you mean?"

"You were always hot shit. My god, you really need me to spell everything out for you, don't you?" I turned my legs away from the center console, staring out the window.