Chapter 4: Black Heart

Ciel 

        I stare at the letter in my hands. I turn it, twist it, and whirl it around, and find myself staring at the strange wax stamp on it yet again. A black heart with ornate decorations. I am tempted to open is and see exactly what is written inside and why it is addressed to Caera, but cannot out of decency towards my sister, who is already cross with me enough as it is. I sigh, and attempt to take a sip out of my tea cup, before realizing it is empty. 

        "Gosh, how many cups of tea do you have each day?" I look up, and see Caera, standing near the door of my study. She looks around the room with a smirk on her face, and then sits down on a sofa near my desk. "This place looks exactly the same as before, Ciel. Except your desk is full of papers." She giggles, and then makes herself more comfortable in the sofa. "What do you do here all day?" 

        "I take care of paperwork, meet people, everything that has to do with Funtom." I answer quickly, and raise the letter so that Caera can see, "This is yours." 

        Caera looks at the letter, and the smirk immediately fades from her face as she rapidly stands up and grabs the letter away, "Great. Another one." Instead of opening it, she holds it tightly between her hands and attempts to leave the room. 

        I stop her midway, "What does it say?" 

        My sister looks back, and smiles, "Nothing. Just, you know, probably another stupid love letter from who knows. I'll just throw it away." She tries to walk away again, but is stopped by another one of my questions. 

        "Who is Adelaide Souffront?" 

        She slowly turns her head around, the smile slowly fading from her face, and doesn't answer for a while. I stare at her face, expecting her to look at me eye-to-eye, but Caera doesn't bother raising her head. "It's my name." She finally replies. 

        I stand up, and walk towards my sister. I put my hands on both sides of her head and lift it so I can see her face, "Your name is Caera Phantomhive, and I expect you to clear that up with whoever has any misconceptions about it." 

        She shakes her head, "It's not that easy, brother." The smile returns to her face once more, "What is done in the past cannot be taken back. Same goes for you, Ciel." 

        Shocked, I let go of her and stare at her eyes, trying to find some sense of knowlegde in them, but find nothing but innocense. A sigh escapes my mouth, "Don't talk like that, it doesn't suit you at all."

        "Ahaha, right." With a satisfied giggle, she hastens out of the room, the letter still tightly held between her hands. 

        What on earth is she up to? 

        Caera 

        I must be the luckiest girl in the world. If I were a minute late, Ciel would have definitely opened it, all thanks to that curiosity he has that every business man is cursed with. I sigh and look at the envelope, not knowing what to expect. Something must have gone wrong. Why would a letter arrive to quickly? How long has it been since I gave the order? A month? Something has definitely gone wrong. They wouldn't send anything so quickly. 

         Making sure no one is around, I slowly move the letter out of the envelope and read quickly, moving my mouth but making no sound: 

                        "Countess Adelaide Souffront, 

                        They are ready. 

                        -Andrew Carter" 

        For a single moment, I stare at the letter, completely awestruck at how... at how..

        How damn stupid Andrew is. 

        I stuff the letter into my dress pocket and take the time to exhale loudly in relief. I was truly scared that something may have happened, but fortunately, it's all okay. Andrew will have to pay, though. He could've just told me instead of waiting for me to get the damn letter. 

        I guess I'll have to return sooner than I thought. Hopefully, I'll be able to come up with a good enough excuse for Ciel.