Chapter Seventeen

LPS Retribution - Sol System, 3 August 2041

"Scans show system clear of traffic, Satellites around the third and forth planets and a station in geosynchronous orbit around the third." Reported the Ops Officer.

"Just as anticipated, Helm take us into the belt on the pre planned route."

"At once Lord."

"Ops inform the freighter that we will be dropping the first package on asteroid designated Ceres shortly." Brian ordered.

"Freighter confirms ready for deployment on your command Lord."

Brian had checked the various legalities surrounding asteroid mining shortly after seeing the mining equipment left in storage which had initially been left on board a troop transport before being moved several times. As Sol was an inhabited system the resources belonged to its inhabitants to mine or to set up contracts, meaning he was within his rights to being mining at his pleasure.

With the help of his engineering teams and the combined efforts of the AIs they had managed to upgrade the mining equipment so it was autonomous and would follow pre set programming. This meant that the equipment could essentially be dropped and forgotten about until they came to collect it. It had the potential to earn a lot of income and Brian was acutely aware that he had been living if the High Lords and House Shining Horizons good graces which couldn't continue. In fact he intended to repay both at the earliest opportunity and had been keeping track of expenditures.

"Approaching drop coordinates Lord." Helm Reported.

"Have the freighter slow to drop the first package on the designated spot."

"Freighter confirms Lord."

Brian waited patiently while the freighter moved into position just 5 meters above the surface of the asteroid before dropping the mining equipment. Once it was done the freighter moved and resumed its position behind the Retribution. Once it was clear Brian sent the activation signal and watched while the equipment unpacked itself and went through its own diagnostic testing. A few moments later the machinery began its work.

"Helm take us to the next marker."

"Arrival at next marker in just over three hours Lord."

Brian's second order of business back in his home system was setting a watch on his home planet and his interests there. He would always be a son of his home planet and even more so if his home nation, he wanted to do what he could to safeguard its future.

To this end he had another AI created which he'd named himself as the AIs seemed to lack in their creativity in this area. He'd selected the name Munen from Norse mythology who was one of Odins ever vigilant ravens.

It's job would be to monitor the various goings on both on and off planet with instructions where possible to ensure the avoidance of conflict and promote trade and technological advancement. Brian had gone so far as to ensure the emphasis be placed on renewable energy and environmental protection or enhancement technologies. All this would be achieved without the knowledge of the planets residents.

Munen would report in anything requiring Brians attention wether that be for his understanding of developments or a need to take action.

It would also keep watch over the mining efforts on Ceres and send updated instructions as required. The other benefit of this is it would alert Brian when it was worth returning to collect the mined materials.

"Inform the shuttle crew of the arrival time, I want them ready to launch as soon as we arrive."

"Yes Lord." Ops confirmed.