Reason Number Five

"I don't even know your name."

Mark decided to skip his classes for today. He couldn't concentrate for some reason. The Canadian asked Jeno to lend him his notes later that day so he could copy them down before taking off downtown.

Since it was still midday, the downtown area was deserted. Mark contemplated whether or not he should go to the music store, deciding against it once he remembered that he had an unfinished project to take care of.

At last, he found himself in front of the local library. The Canadian pushed the heavy doors open and walked in timidly. Unlike his attitude in the music store (or anywhere else for that matter), Mark turned almost cat-like when he entered the library. Maybe it was because the librarian knew his father and would tell on him if he didn't behave. Or maybe because that was the real Mark. The Canadian never knew why, but the librarian intimidated him despite being one of the friendliest people he's ever met.

The library itself had quite a superior aura to it, given that it was built to look quite literally like an ancient Greek temple. The entire interior was pearly white and elegant looking. The sides of the bookshelves looked like large marble pillars and there was a large glass panel on the ceiling to let the sunlight in, making the place feel and look airy.

"Hello, my child," a sweet voice said. Mark turned to greet them with a smile. "Good day Madame Metis."

"Are you still working on that musical history sheet?" she asked, walking him to the music section. "Why yes, how did you know?" The woman chuckled, it sounded just as airy as the atmosphere around them. "You left your paperwork here the last time you came," she answered, producing Mark's music sheets out of nowhere and handing them to him. He took them from her, uttering a small "thank you" and "sorry" afterward.

"Before you start child." Madame Metis stopped Mark from wandering off to look for referral books. "I wanted to ask you about your father."

"I'm sorry Madame but I haven't met Dad in a while..." he said, visibly uneasy about the topic. Madame Metis sensed it too. "It is quite alright child. Just take care of yourself for me." And with that, she left.

Mark brushed his unwanted thoughts away and sat down to do his work. And would you look at that? The referral books he needed were already on his table (he silently thanked Madame Metis for that).

For hours, Mark worked on his papers. He didn't even notice that the sun was starting to set. "My child," Madame Metis called out. "I am about to lock up." Mark squeaked and scrambled to pack his things, apologizing to her repeatedly as he rushed out of the library. The librarian watched as Mark's figure moved further away from her.

"Ah Apollo, if only you knew how unhappy your son is in the mortal realm."

__________₊°•✮•°₊__________

Mark stepped into the music store, his grin as wide as ever after spotting the mousy boy conversing with Johnny behind the counter. "Hello Johnathan, sunshine," he greeted the two of them.

The mousy boy stopped to glare at him. "Sunshine huh? Well, that's new," Johnny remarked, making the boy hiss and slap his shoulder. "I have a name, darling," he drawled, unfazed by the look Johnny was giving him.

And that's when Mark realized that he didn't even know the mousy boy's name.

-ˋˏ ༻☕༺ ˎˊ-

child is a fucking masterpiece. mark has truly outdone himself this time.