Chapter 2: I'll be back

(Surprise!! :D)

I waited with baited breath, anxiously twisting the rings on my remaining, unbroken fingers. The lock finally beeped, flashing red and just like that ear splitting alarm bells started to clang. I jumped back, startled, and looked to Harley with a worried look on my face.
"Hurry! Go! They'll be here sooner than you know!" She shouted, her voice only barely muffled by the glass that stood between us. I shook my head, swinging my backpack off my shoulder and desperately fishing around for something that I could use to break the lock. If the alarm was already going off I might as well make use of it.
"No! You don't understand! You need to go darling!" Harley shouted again, her voice rising in pitch and intensity. When I looked up to her again I was met with the most concerned expression I'd ever seen thrown my way. Usually when people looked at me they laughed. Or glared. Or said mean things. But this...this expression was one of care. Compassion. Empathy. A look I wasn't even sure Harley could make before it was being thrown at me.
I hesitated for only a moment longer before rising again, slinging the backpack back over my shoulder. By now I could hear guards yelling and boots slapping against the metal flooring. Now I had a choice. Stay here and get caught or flee the scene of the crime. Harley was still trying her hardest to get me to go away, pointing at the emergency exit and making shooing motions with her hands. It was cute all things considered.
"I'll come back for you! I promise!" I said, pressing my hands against the glass one last time before making a mad dash for the emergency exit. The sun blinded me and yet another alarm went off, joining the others in a blaring symphony. I sprinted across the plush green lawn, finally making it the gravel pathway I had entered on. I smoothed my hair and tried to get my breathing as close to normal as I possibly could before strolling up to the guard that had let me enter, acting as if there was no chaos at all happening in the building behind me.
"Did you get enough information for your report?" He asked gruffly, raising an eyebrow at me.
"Not quite. I might have to return tomorrow," I said nonchalantly, shrugging one shoulder so as to appear almost bored by this suggestion.
"Well if that is the case I'll have to call the school to confirm an assignment is even being done. We can't just let anyone in everyday you know. This is a very serious place and no place for you," he replied bitterly, looking me up and down as if to prove his point. I crossed my arms and leveled a glare at him.
"Whatever. I guess I can just make this work but maybe you should work on being less of a prick to girls just trying to get a good grade," I quipped, feeling high off of my newfound confidence. I wasn't quite sure where it had even come from. Maybe it Harley. Maybe it was the fact I knew that I would come back tomorrow and the day after and the day after. I would come back no matter how many days it took me to free her.
I also wasn't quite sure why I wanted to free her so badly in the first place. Sure, I admired her personality and who she was as a person, not so much her actions, but this was bordering on being a little more than appreciation. And I didn't like what it was revealing about me.
"Whatever kid just get out of here I think my radio is going off."
The guard turned his back to me now, turning his radio's volume down quite a few notches before placing it close to his ear. That wasn't good. I knew they were telling him of the trouble inside and I wasn't sure how quickly he would put the pieces together. Either way, I needed to go and I needed to go now.
As he listened intensely to the radio I started walking down the road, acting nonchalant and leisurely. But as soon as I felt I was well enough out of eyesight I broke out into a run, trying to get to my house as quickly as possible. The cameras. I knew that I needed to get home and hack into the asylum's camera system as soon as possible, before they got a chance to check them. That is if I wasn't already to late.