A Little Princess

Author: Little bits of Elsa's life growing up in my AU. Set before chapter one of my fic, Jack Frost. Warning for a scene of attempted assault. The artwork above and on the cover is by Malin Falch. It's how I imagine Elsa at age 15!

...

"Young lady, what's this in your hair?"

The girl of seven pretended to be confused. "Whatever do you mean, Miss?" Her tutor reached into her pale locks and pulled from the tangles an autumn leaf. The girl frowned. "It's my crest of honor."

The older woman looked incredulous. "Your crest of honor? You mean this leaf?"

"To you, it's a leaf. But the fairies in the garden gave it to me for saving their houses from all the rain." She explained, swinging her legs under the table.

"Aren't you a little old to believe in fairies?" The girl didn't answer. "Sit still." Elsa stilled her restless legs. "Upright." She scooted back from her slouched position. "Honestly, you're a princess. These things should be natural by now." Elsa just huffed and went back to reading her history book. She hated her tutor—she was always trying to tell her what to do when she was just supposed to be teaching her things. Elsa didn't like taking orders from anyone. Not even her parents. The teacher eventually took the book away and began to drill her. "Now tell me, what was the War with Sweden?"

Elsa started to braid her hair as she spoke, "It was when Crown Prince—" Her teacher cut her off by slamming her ruler into the table. She was apparently to be perfectly still even when she was giving her the right answer. Elsa didn't want to sit still! She wanted to explore. She let her half-braid hang loose and continued, "It was when Crown Prince Charles John and Tsar Alexander agreed to attack Norway to force us to cede from Denmark." Because they're big meanies. She thought.

"All right?"

"First, Prince Charles invaded Denmark, and because they were outnumbered, the King renounced his claim of Norway and put his army under Swedish command." She recited the words directly as they were on the page.

"And what was this treaty called?"

"Peace of Kiel."

"That's right."

"But how come—"

"Ah, ah! We're not done yet."

"Why do I have to know any of this? I wasn't even born yet!"

"It's important to know the history of your kingdom. Your kids will learn about this too. Now finish." Elsa sighed. "Where did the battle between Sweden and Norway start?"

She had to think for a moment. "The islands of Hvaler. We were outnumbered because the Swedish had help from the British." Cheaters.

"How long did the battle last?"

"Two weeks and five days."

"And who came out the victor?"

"The Swedish. That's why we're called the Kingdom of Sweden and Norway."

Her tutor closed the book. "That'll do for today, Princess."

"Papa says most of his family is from Sweden. He says one of his aunts had really blonde hair like me."

"Is that so? Well, if you ask me, you're a perfect blend of your mother and father's looks."

"I look more like Mama, but if she had blonde hair. That's what Gerda says."

"And Gerda's right." She started to gather the rest of the books on the table. Did this mean they were done?

"Can I go now?" Elsa was eager to go back outside. She loved the cool autumn weather, and it always felt like the season went by too quickly.