Part 2

I awoke. A new face came into view, "And who might you be?" I asked the girl. "I'm Thalia, your majesty." She said shyly. "Thalia, thalia, thalia." What a beautiful name." I said with a smile. "Thank you, your majesty." Her hair was a light brown color, her skin was a shiny mocha, she smelled of morning dewdrops and tea.

I always had people help me prepare each morning, but Thalia was new. She laid out my dress for the day, others helped prepare my hair. She fixed my hair into a high bun, my corset was tightened, she walked, or should I say floated away with grace like the others, but so unlike them at the same time. I looked into the mirror, my cheeks glowed, my dress was clean, but inside I was hoping to hold on to every minute until I was married. My life would no longer belong to me. My body wouldn't be mine. My freedom would be gone like the rain when the clouds drift away on a summer's day.

I tried to glide down the stairs gracefully, my family had begun breakfast, "Bella! So, kind of you to finally join us." My father said sarcastically. I smiled the fakest smile I could muster and sat down. I ate my porridge all the while watching Thalia serve my family, every time she would glance at me, my gaze would drop to the bowl.

After breakfast, my mother made me do needle point. I hated needlepoint; I always pricked my finger. "Mother what's the use of this anyways." I complained. She answered scornfully, "It teaches you how to be a good wife, now stop whining and work." Finally, after learning how to be a 'good wife' I walked outside, it was sunset. Thalia was there. "Beautiful, isn't it?" I said glancing at Thalia. She jumped, "Oh wow! Your majesty! You scared me." I apologized, "I didn't mean to spook you Thalia, but what are you doing out here?" She recovered her voice, "I was just enjoying this evening's sunset." I smiled. She smiled back. There wasn't any tension, but the air was filled with something, I'm unsure with what yet but there was something in the air I could feel that evening. Whether a feeling or a connection, whether a glance with no real truth or a glance filled with millions of words and thoughts. "You're new, aren't you?" I asked. "Is it obvious?" She asked, embarrassed. "No, no, not at all. I've just never seen you here and I'm sure if I have, I would have r-remembered you." I stuttered a bit on the last word but I'm sure it was just nerves, nothing more.

"Arabella!" My mother shouted from the dining room. I pointed towards the castle, "I have to go." I said quietly. "Goodbye, your majesty." She waved.

"Where were you?", "I was just looking at our-uh- garden." I lied. If I told mother, I was talking to Thalia she would be embarrassed that her daughter finds pleasure in talking to "Maids."

514 words:)