Part 1

"Help me, Elizabeth. You are the only one who can."

It had not been a declaration of love. It was not a declaration of anything, so much as a plea for assistance.

Assistance out of a mess he made!

Yet Elizabeth Bennet could not help replaying the words Fitzwilliam Darcy had whispered to her while he held tightly to her hand, pinning her in place next to him in the hallway of Longbourn, moments after his friend Charles Bingley and cousin Colonel Richard Fitzwilliam had decided to fight a duel for the hand of Lizzy's sister, Jane.

What a disaster everything had become!

"Lizzy?"

Mrs Bennet's shrill voice pierced the silence and both she and Mr Darcy took a shrewd step back, realising at the same moment the intimacy of their stance. He let go of his hold on her hand and Lizzy glanced down, surprised at how strangely alone his absence made her feel.

"Coming, Mama!" she called, shooting him one last apologetic smile. He followed her back into the parlour, yet some vague unspoken word passed between them, the acknowledgement that now, amongst his friends and her family, they must slip back into anonymity.

"We were just trying to persuade Mr Bingley of the necessity for a ball," Lydia remarked, with a sly smile.

"A ball?" Lizzy frowned, glancing over her shoulder at Mr Darcy before returning to look at her sisters. Nobody seemed at all aware of what had occurred between Mr Bingley and Colonel Fitzwilliam, or if they were, they did not care, their concerns fully superseded by the mention of celebration. And what is there to celebrate? Jane being the object of not one but two good men's affection? How can there be any solution that does not lead to heartbreak for someone, if not everyone?

"A ball?" she repeated in a whisper, as she slid into a seat beside Jane.

Jane said nothing but gave her head a tiny, imperceptible shake.

"We shall consider it, Miss Lydia," Mr Bingley replied, with a wide smile. The clock on the mantel chimed and he took it as his cue, leaping to his feet. "In any case, we have taken up far too much of your time already and will bid you good day." His eyes sought out Jane amidst the crowd of her family. "Perhaps you will see your way to calling on us at Netherfield before long, Miss Bennet." He reddened, before widening the invitation to include all of his neighbours. "You must all come. Whenever you wish. We shall be very happy to see you again."

Lizzy's attention was on her sister, but Jane's features were, for once, entirely unreadable.

"Good day!"

"Good day, Miss Elizabeth."

It took Lizzy a moment to realise that Mr Darcy's gruff farewell was directed at her and when she lifted her head their eyes met for a moment. She coloured, recalling how honestly, how desperately he had commanded her help.

"Good day," she managed at last, her throat tight and voice strained. She wrenched her gaze away, praying her family had not noticed her discomposure.

Lydia and Kitty had begun eagerly to discuss the promise of another ball and even Mrs Bennet found her attention caught up by whispers about music and dancing, although she, like Elizabeth, continued to cast a careful eye towards Jane.

"Well!"

It was Caroline who brought this brief moment of indecision to a definite close, and with it, the Netherfield party made their way swiftly out of Longbourn and back the way they had come, leaving a buzz of excitement in their wake.

Lizzy was grateful that her sisters converged upon Mrs Bennet, discussing in loud, shrill voices the particularities of a possible ball, and left her free to tug Jane by the hand towards a window, safe enough that they might speak a word or two without fear of being overheard.

"Well, Jane?"

"Well, Lizzy?" Jane must have heard the sharp tone in her voice because she softened it with a smile that did little to ease Lizzy's concerns. Jane's brow was free of a frown for scarcely a moment before her smile slipped and her features sank once more. "What did you and Mr Darcy speak about?" She swallowed, attempting to smile once more. "Let me guess: your future is settled as easily as mine is pulled into chaos. Will there be a wedding?"

Lizzy's eyes widened and she shook her head, surprised and stunned that Jane could imagine she would use her sister's discomfort for her own gain. As if I can think of anything but your future happiness! She opened her mouth to say as much but stopped short, conscious that, no matter how much she might like to deny it she could not honestly admit that she and Mr Darcy had spoken of nothing but Jane.

Principally Jane, she reminded herself. And Mr Bingley. And Colonel Fitzwilliam. If Darcy sought her hand - her help - he did so for the sake of their friends, nothing more.

Help me, Elizabeth. You are the only one who can.

She tried for a smile and this time thought she had at least a small degree of success.

"You must know something I do not, Jane. Mr Darcy's concern is all for his friend, for his cousin, and you."