Part 31

"They make a handsome pair," Anne whispered, at Richard's shoulder. "And yet...she has spirit, too, I think. See how she does not back down in the face of Mama's rage!"

It was true, Lady Catherine had surpassed incoherence and shock to merely fire accusations at Elizabeth, peppering her with questions that would have floored the Inquisition, all of which Elizabeth met and answered with aplomb. Lady Catherine's fire was beginning to subside, quelled by cleverness and the confidence of the young woman who would not easily be scared off from the man she loved and longed to marry.

Richard saw all this, and yet his gaze was fixed on something past it. His heart turned over at the sight of Jane, looking more beautiful than he remembered. He tried to smile but found that moving a single muscle was impossible. When his eyes met Jane's, hers widened, and he realised with a sickening thud that whilst Jane's presence was painful to him, his was an absolute shock to her.

She did not know I would be here! It was a cruel trick of Darcy to play - and Elizabeth, for she must have been involved also.

"Richard," Anne continued, tugging on his shoulder as if to draw his attention to her. He ignored her, shaking off her hold and stepping quickly forward to greet the rest of Lady Catherine's guests, forgotten in the wake of her current preoccupation.

"Mr Collins, Mrs Collins, good evening. Jane." He bowed, straightening and keeping his eyes fixed on her. "I - I hope you found your journey tolerable?"

"Perhaps we should leave," Mr Collins said, in a stage whisper that somehow carried to Lady Catherine's ears.

"You shall go nowhere, Mr Collins! Come here and explain how you did not tell me of this before now!"

Mr Collins squeaked and scurried forward.

"I did not know of it, Lady Catherine, although Elizabeth is my cousin's daughter and I assure you a very accomplished young lady..."

"I ought to help him," Charlotte Collins said, with a weary smile. She dipped in a quick curtsey and side-stepped Richard to follow her husband, offering what support she could to both her husband and friend. Richard and Jane were left alone and it seemed to him at that moment as if they were alone not merely in the large Rosings parlour, but the whole world.

"Good evening, Jane," he said, finding his voice again and willing himself to smile. "I hope my being here has not been too dreadful a shock. I did not know to expect you until a few hours ago."

She said nothing and his smile faltered.

"You would prefer me to leave? Of course. I shall take a tray in my room, in that case. I dare say my aunt will not miss me, in the wake of this -"

"Wait." Jane's hand flew out, arresting his progress, and she glanced over her shoulder, ascertaining that the rest of the party were thoroughly embroiled in a detailed discussion of Darcy and Elizabeth's engagement. "I..." Jane bit her lip, heat flooding her cheeks. "It is a little warm in here, do not you think? Perhaps we might take a walk into the corridor where it is cooler?"

Richard nodded, obediently steering them both towards the door and thence the bright hallway that led from the parlour to the rest of the house. He spied an open window and they made their way towards it, walking as close as they had once made a habit of doing.

"Elizabeth did not tell you that I was visiting my aunt, then." It was not a question, but Jaen shook her head in answer all the same.

"Perhaps she did not know," she began, reluctant to place any degree of blame on her sister's shoulders. Her determination faltered even before she had finished speaking the words, though, and she rolled her eyes at her own degree of self-delusion. "Of course she knew. I expect it is the very reason she suggested we come immediately to visit Charlotte so that we might arrive here before you left. And Mr Darcy -"

"Her co-conspirator." Richard chuckled. "Unless I am very much mistaken." He let out a heavy sigh. "Well, I trust my being here will not entirely spoil your visit to your friend. If it will, you must say so. I can be on the road again by morning if you wish it."

"And go where?" Jane's question was plain but her voice was laced with concern, and Richard looked at her, surprised that her features, too, seemed to reflect the same care and compassion for him that he had once abandoned all hope of ever seeing there again. "Your work is finished in Meryton, I believe. Where are you to go next?"

"I am not sure," he demurred. "I see Elizabeth found it in her heart to share the news of my quitting Meryton, at least, if not where I had quit Meryton for, in the immediate."

"She did not tell me," Jane said, sharply. Then, as if she regretted speaking so fervently, she dropped her gaze to the ground, her next words coming as a whisper Richard was forced to bend his head to hear. "I went to the barracks and was told that you - that you were no longer based there."

"You went to the barracks?" A tiny flicker of hope sparked in Richard's chest, the first one he had felt for days - weeks! - and it spurred him on, with more eagerness than he might otherwise have displayed. "Why?"

"I wished to see you," Jane confessed, still refusing to look at him. "I wished to speak to you."

"Why?" Richard asked again, not daring to say more, lest it scare her from sharing what was truly on her heart.

Jane did not say a word at first, and for a long moment, Richard feared even this short question had been one word too many. He swallowed, racking his brains for something he might say to make things better, eager not to squander this gift of an opportunity. At last, though, Jane's answer came, calm and clear, her blue eyes lifting at last and meeting his without faltering.

"I wanted to tell you that I made a mistake. I should never have written to you to break off our engagement. I wrote so hastily, and I was angry, and...I regret it."

"No more do I," Richard confessed, tracing the line of her jaw with his thumb. "I regret that whole wretched business and wish to God I could go back and undo it all. I never should have allowed Bingley to goad me, I should have kept a tighter rein on my temper, I should have come straight away to your side and apologised, begged for your forgiveness, done whatever I could to make amends. I -" He shook his head, abandoning all further listing of his many and various missteps in favour of the short, simple apology he knew would be most genuine and most acceptable to Jane's ears. "I'm sorry Jane. But if you are here now, and you are willing, might we try again?"

Jane smiled, then, the beautiful, brilliant smile Richard once feared he would never see again, certainly never have turned to him. She nodded, and he found the courage to ask the question he hoped would receive the same answer a second time as it had the first time he asked it.

"Will you marry me, Jane?"

"Yes, Richard. Yes, I will."