II. Julian of the West Lands

"Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense."

Mark Overby

Revised and edited

Julian

The first light of the day gives me comfort before, but now it's just a nightmare that keeps repeating. Towards the view of my own perch, I see the expanse of the town with fleeting birds that come and go. Antlike humans living and walking around, living a life that is greatly different from mine. It was a day like this when everything changed for me, yet it was just a normal day for any other.

It wasn't long before I hear the familiar footsteps of someone I really didn't want to see on such a good day. Her steps are quick and clipped as if she's wearing uncomfortable shoes and is quickly trying to eat the distance with her legs.

"Julian!" Her shrill makes my eardrums rattle inside my skull, but I make no reaction to it. Her scent makes it known she's in the same vicinity as me before I ever saw her in that bell-shaped dress. "Julian! Why do you not answer me?"

My sword is propped on the wall just in front of me. I could stand from the window seat and take it. Flee before it's all too late, and my whole day would be worse than before. Slowly, I rip my gaze from my sword and to the identical same blonde hair beside me. Her scent infiltrating my nose like a fog. It's unnecessarily strong for someone who barely meets anyone outside of the red palace.

Her blue eyes squint as her lips scowl. "If you're not going to answer me, then fine, but did you hear from father?"

I shift my gaze away from her and into the view of the town. She usually doesn't talk to me on this day, and I don't know if that's her respecting me or it just slipped her mind to pay any attention to me, but I'm not grateful, of course, just relieved that I didn't have to deal with her on a day like this.

"Father has arranged for your marriage with one of those barbarians" she whispered the word so harshly; you'd think she's spitting on the carpet. Her heavily curled hair bobbing up and down from any small movement. "How could he just decide to muck our blood like that?"

The court has arranged for marriage for her too. It's with a prince twice her age and definitely not the kind of men she swoons over, but I don't do what she's doing to her. Gossiping and nosing into one's business isn't a hobby of mine.

"Can you imagine yourself being in the same bed with those savages?! I'm disgusted that anyone from that land is even considering to be in our family! What would the others say about me? That I'm a princess related to such a horrid thing?! Even if it's by law! The mere link with any of them is deplorable! I'll be the talk of the court! The whole society even!"

The shrill of her voice makes me wince. My last straw as I take my sword and fasten it around my waist before standing and meeting my little sister's gaze. Her eyes remind me so much of Fathers that my blood simmers and the thought that I have the same eyes makes it boil.

Walking past her, I intend to leave the palace just so I don't have to see her.

"Wait! Where are you going?" Her hands grab onto my arm, halting me from going any further from her side. I could feel her fingers digging into the sleeve of my blouse, and that made my fingers itch. "They're arriving! The whole palace is even preparing and buzzing to receive them."

I harshly shake her hands off of me and moved away from her. She lands on her bum with the shape of her dress going lopsided.

"What are you doing?!" she shrills again.