CHP 5

The full moon was filled with tension and unspoken words.

"It's not me you know." 
Artemis blinked at me from his magic, his eyes glowing with mana.
"Who what?"
"Started attacking those kids at your school."
"How do you know about that?" Xera snapped.
"I have a friend who goes there." I shrugged.
"... we don't think it was you." Artemis stated hesitantly.

Liar.

I shrugged.
"Just in case then, I hope your friends recover quickly."
Artemis nodded quietly.

They don't believe me.

And who could blame them?

I'm a monster.

I watched the time fly by, day after day after day. People kept getting hurt. Artemis started to avoid me on full moons. But he'd put on a poker face and pretend to be fine when I was in my human form. It ruffled my fur to see him smile sometimes.

One day I lost it.
I turned the corner and there Artemis was, lying on his side and breathing heavily as blood poured from cuts. I ran over and tried to stop the bleeding, desperately calling for help as he passed out.

I could smell the culprit on him, practically begging to be caught. I flinched as the stench of Artemis' blood hit my nose and scrambled my mind.
I hate the scent of blood for that reason, it whips my inner wolf into a frenzy.
That's the nature of a monster.
I watched the nurse clean and bandage his wounds, assuring me he would be ok. I knew the only reason he wasn't in the hospital was because he had fought back. Otherwise, he'd be twice as torn up.

But honestly? I was terrified. I'd been used to seeing Artemis with a grin on his face and a twinkle in his eyes. Now I couldn't stop staring at the frowning, defeated boy lying on the cot in the nurse's office.
It didn't help that I couldn't think straight because I could smell his blood.

Once he was better, I was determined to find the werewolf behind the attacks. I wasn't about to let him to get away with this.

I found him in the hallway during a class period that I was late to. I paused, watching blood drip from his claws.
It was the bully who'd beat me up behind the school. That's why he hurt Artemis, to get back at me.
For a few moments I just stood in shock, watching him lick the blood off his fingers.
"Oh look," He grinned, his eyes glowing with a bloodthirsty lust as he seemed to scan me over for good places to rip me open. I stepped back unsteadily.
"The little pup came to play."

In a heartbeat he slammed me against the lockers, making a dent, and pinning me there by my neck. I coughed and choked, clawing weakly at his forearm.
"I thought I convinced you to stay out of my way." He snarled, anger flowing through his tone. I was too busy gasping for air to reply.
He was about to land what might've been a fatal blow when I kicked him hard between his legs. He flinched in shock and dropped me, I quickly put some distance between us, rubbing my throat.
"You little-"
Great, now he's angry-er.
I managed to dodge his next attack and as he flew past me a thought flitted into my head. A thought so spectacularly brilliant it was common sense.

Run.

I ran hard, the song of him pounding after me providing a soundtrack of adrenaline.
I ran so hard I practically threw myself into my classroom.
The teacher paused midsentence and frowned at me.
"You shouldn't work up a sweat trying to make it to class if you're already late." She spoke calmly, and I realized the smell and sound of the werewolf was gone.
I've worked up sweat?
"Yes mam." I answered awkwardly as I shuffled to my seat, hoping my hoodie hid the bruise forming where his hand had been.
Artemis frowned at me from his desk.

Of course, that was the topic of discussion at lunch, I was beginning to think I'd run out of all possible luck at this point.
"You ok Hawke? You were sweating when you came into class today." Artemis asked, casting a glance in my direction.
"Just took too long at the water fountain." I mumbled.
"I'm not buying it bud." His eyes flickered slightly, and I pretended not to notice, that's what a human would do, right?
"It's nothing."
"Hawke you looked like you'd just seen a ghost. That's not 'nothing'." Artemis frowned at me.
I sighed softly, then glanced around the cafeteria.
"... I had a run in with the werewolf." I rubbed my throat subconsciously and Xera choked on her apple juice.
"You what?!" She hissed.
I hesitated.
"I saw the wolf."
And he almost killed me....
I neglected to mention that part intentionally.
All three of them stared at me. I mumbled awkwardly into my hoodie.

In case I haven't already mentioned it I want to shoutout to @LexiNewman2020! Some of you might know but back when I was "Eclipsereaper07" I did a collab with Lexi and that led to a text story, where I first created Hawke. So, Artemis and Valentina (AKA Vanessa for this story) are actually Lexi's characters, and I probably should've asked before I used them =w=

I hope you all are enjoying the thrilling crap I somehow string together UwU

I'll try to get the next chapter out (before I randomly take another month-long hiatus =w= I'm sorry for keeping y'all waiting)

Up next in Alone in Spirit: Join Hawke as he maybe divulges some more intimate information with the gang and keep an eye out for Artemis' reaction ;D