Chapter 3 | Hedwynn

I hadn't been this nervous since the first day of college, or maybe my driver's test

I hadn't been this nervous since the first day of college, or maybe my driver's test. Though my hands weren't trembling, I still felt shaky and clammy. After two weeks spent adjusting in Raghnall's little house, I was finally deemed ready to enter genie society. 

The red man was standing at the front door, holding it open, a smile dancing across his face. His wrappings were especially shimmery and it was clear he was itching to hit those lilac-streets. 

Raghnall tilted his head. "It will be okay, Hedwynn, I promise."

"Just--" I took a deep breath, in for four, out for four. "Alright, I'm ready. Lead away."

Stepping out of the house was like stepping into a dream. Everything I had watched from the window--the buildings, the trees, the swirling patterns in the sky--all of it was much more impressive and impossible up close.

Raghnall was grinning as he watched me take it all in for the first time. "Come over here! Feel the grass!"

I crossed the street and joined him in an empty lot full of grown-over grass a shade of purple fit for kings. Crouching down, I ran a few blades between my fingers. They were plush, exactly like Raghnall had described. Velvet grass. Purple streets. Periwinkle sky. 

In my peripherals, I could see faces peering out from the window shades in the houses nearby. When I turned my glance, each one disappeared behind fluttering curtains.

Raghnall noticed my head whipping around, trying to catch a better glimpse. "There aren't very many genies, so a new face is a big deal around here. They're just curious, that's all."

It was still a little unsettling, but I let Raghnall help me up and continue to lead me along the winding road that wove through town. As we walked, he pointed out key buildings like the genie library, the genie bank, and the genie ice cream parlor. He ignored me when I asked why it needed to have "genie" tacked onto the front of it if there were no regular ice cream parlors. 

With each step, the two of us drew closer to the pearly castle on the top of the highest hill. That pull, deep in my gut, my heart, my essence grew stronger the bigger the palace loomed. 

A few times, a genie started to approach us, waving to Raghnall, but then switched directions as soon as they laid eyes on me. The first time, I brushed it off. By the third time, I was starting to get a little bothered.

When it happened again with a burly genie in a Viking helmet, I leaned closer to Raghnall and murmured, "Does this tie not match my shirt or something?"

He followed my gaze to the Viking-genie slipping back into his longboat. 

"Your tie is fine. It's customary for the all-genie to be the first genie you speak to after your transformation."

"Um." I gestured to Raghnall theatrically. 

"Partners don't count, obviously."

"Right, obviously."

We made the rest of the trek in comfortable silence. The homes near the top of the hill varied in size and shape, but all carried markers of wealth and prestige. The intricate clock tower was my favorite. Seven faces covered the length of the tower, each with a different style and motif. Clouds. Crows. Faeries. Trees. An ocean. Every time I looked, I noticed something new woven into the design. 

When we reached the steps of the all-genie's palace, Raghnall pulled me aside. He had to keep one hand gripped on my arm while we talked--this close to the throne room, I was ready to run up those stairs and throw the door open.

"Once we enter the all-genie's chamber, you'll present yourself to him." With his other hand, Raghnall was rubbing the green gemstone he wore around his neck.

"Right," my feet were starting to inch themselves closer to the stairs, "and how do I do that?"

"There will be a blue circle in the middle of the room. Stand in it and wait for the all-genie to speak."

I stared at Raghnall, waiting for him to continue but he just nodded, released my arm, and started up the stairs. 

"...that's it?"

Raghnall smiled stiff over his shoulder. "That's all I can tell you."

I let my feet carry me up after him. As if by magic, the massive doors opened for us. Wait. I shook my head and chuckled. Of course the doors opened by magic, they were entering the palace of the most powerful genie in all of existence. 

For a moment, the room spun around me. It was just all so much. It didn't help that the inside of the palace was just as pearlescent as the outside. Light and my thoughts bounced around as we crossed through several hallways and empty chambers before stopping in front of two ornate doors. 

Raghnall reached over and straightened my tie. "You'll do great."

I breathed deep, in for four, out for four. "Alright, I'm ready."

---