𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝟏

August 1621

''Wait- please don't do this-'' a young man draped in black robes cried. He struggled against the binding ropes around his wrists.

''I wasn't trying to harm you-'' with a wave of the King's hand he was hit by the guard behind him, sending him helplessly to the floor. 

''I-I h-have a l-letter...'' he gasped as his breathing was restricted, being face down on the ground under the heavy boot of the guard.

The King rose from his throne and sauntered over, the guards bowing as he walked through the throne room.

''Nice try, but I know where you are from and I know you use magic...therefore- I have to kill you.'' He stepped on the man's face, looking at him with such disgust. He looked to the guard and nodded, listening to the sound of his sword unsheathing as the King walked back to his throne. 

Only the sound of flesh being severed was heard before the King sat down once again on his throne. ''Clear the mess quickly, my son will be back from training shortly,'' The King said, gesturing to the decapitated body on the floor of the royal throne room hall. "I don't want him to be tainted by these filthy people.''

October 1621

''Your highness,'' A gentle voice sounded from outside Beomgyu's door, ''The King has called for you in the royal hall.'' Beomgyu looked up from his book and got up from his bed. He checked himself in the mirror and sighed, but nonetheless walked through the large double doors of his bedroom. The servant bowed and led him through the magnificent castle to the royal hall, the throne room where his father, the King, waited for him.

"Beomgyu,'' The King sat upon his golden throne, an aura of power surrounding him. ''You look a mess,''

Beomgyu lowered his head in shame. It was true, he did look quite disheveled. Ever since his last dressing servant died, Beomgyu had been trying to dress himself and make himself look presentable, a task that he found almost impossible. He didn't look awful, but it wasn't suitable for a prince.

"I'm sorry father, it seems dressing myself is harder than I thought,''

The King laughed heartily, "That's one of the reasons I called you here today. I've found a new servant for you, you'll meet him shortly." Beomgyu felt happy about that, although a little sad. He had a tendency to get close with servants and people he met, so he missed his old servant. He was a kind old man that had helped Beomgyu since he was a child, how could he not feel sad? Beomgyu hoped this new servant was someone he could potentially befriend or at least feel comfortable with. Still he nodded and smiled lightly.

''Also, your coronation is coming soon. I know you've been preparing well. I've found a personal guard for you as well. There are many potential risks as you are coming of age, people may want to assassinate you before you become king. So your guard will be accompanying you places from now on.''

''But father- I can defend myself, what about all of the training I've been doing?'' Beomgyu didn't want to be killed obviously, but he wanted to be independent, something a personal guard would keep him from.

"Silence!'' The King boomed. ''I've made my decision. You are the only heir to the throne and my most precious son, I cannot allow anything to happen to you.'' Beomgyu knew he couldn't go against his fathers wishes so he nodded and was led back to his room.

''Your highness, your servant and personal guard will be meeting you in the drawing room shortly,'' The servant said.

''Alright, thank you Minju.'' He smiled at her as she bowed and left his room. He sighed and sat back down on his bed. In all honesty, he couldn't wait to become king. He looked up to his father so much. Their kingdom was prosperous, filled with civilians, food, money, everything a successful kingdom was. He couldn't wait to rule it someday. He sat lost in his thoughts when he heard the door to his room creak open slowly. In came his younger cousin, Kai.

He shuffled through the door and looked around as if trying not to get caught. He hadn't noticed Beomgyu was in there.

''Kai, what are you doing here?'' Kai jumped and slammed against the door, grabbing his chest as if he was having a heart attack.

''I-I didn't know you were in here,'' He said, trying to act casual.

''This is my room, why is it surprising?'' Beomgyu chuckled. ''But seriously, why are you sneaking in?''

Kai huffed before spilling, ''Okay okay, I wanted to try on your slippers,'' He looked down embarrassedly.

''M-my slippers?'' Beomgyu couldn't help but laugh.

''They just looked so much softer and fancier than mine, you know I like soft things...'' Kai rambled on and Beomgyu just laughed. This was why he was his friend. Kai was adorable and no one could deny it.

Beomgyu eventually let Kai try on his slippers, which he found much softer and threatened to steal if he didn't get a pair made like them.

''Anyway, what did the King want to talk to you about?" Kai asked later.

''He's gotten me a royal guard and a new servant. I'm meeting them later.'' Beomgyu replied.

''Oh, that's good. Thank goodness you're getting a dressing servant again, your hair is a mess and your outfit doesn't match.'' Kai pointed out.

''Hey! I tried my best,'' Beomgyu pouted. Kai smirked at him. Just then Minju knocked on the door and said, ''Your Highness, the queen has called you to meet the guard and servant now.''

''Well I guess we should go now,'' Beomgyu said.

''Not me, just you. I'm staying here.'' Kai wiggled his feet in Beomgyu's slippers.

''You just want to use my slippers,'' Beomgy took them off of Kai's feet and dragged him out of the room and into the hall before they headed to the drawing room.