7

I stayed the night at Gilbert's last night cause I ened up staying over rather late and he insisted I not walk home in the cold. I wake up in the morning before Gilbert or James and I start on breakfast. I make some oatmeal and start the coffee. I sit the oatmeal on the table then peek my head I James room. I see him awake and I walk inside. "GoodMorning James. I made some oatmeal.."I say sitting next to him. "Thank you billie." He says. I nod and smile. I scoop some oatmeal and feed him. He takes the bite and just then Gilbert comes in. "Oh goodmorning billie Goodmorning father." He says. "Goodmorning gil."James says then coughs. I sit the oatmeal down and stand up letting Gilbert sit with his father. "I'll go make some coffee."I say leaving them. I return to the kitchen and make the coffee. I bring Gilbert his oatmeal and coffee. "Here's your for gilbert." I sat sitting the bowl down. "Thank you billie."He nods. "You should get home before anne gets worried." He says. "I will. But I'll be back around lunch."I say. He nods. "Becareful." James says. "I will."I smile and nod and head home.

When I make it home Mathew is sitting at the table and marilla is with him. I walk inside and look around. "Where anne?"I ask. "Shes still in bed. We had a long night. Now where have you been?" Marilla asked. "I just stuck at the blythes last night so I slept over. I'm gonna change and have breakfast then go back over if thats alright." I ask putting my hat and boots by the door. Marilla nods."that fine but please make sure to come home tonight. Your falling behind on your chores." I nod and make my way upstairs. I change into my dress and bring my clothes downstairs to be washed. I make me some tea and porage and eat. When I get done I slip my boots on and throw my coat on. "I'm headed out marilla!"I yell. "Waiit where are you going?!" Anne yelled running to me. "I'm going back to gilberts for the day."I nod. She sighs. "Ok." She says and walks away. I feel bad cause I have been at the blythes alot but James is only getting worse and I'm afraid his time is almost here. I leave for Gilbert's making my way thru the snow.

I'm about 5 minutes from the blythes when I hear a yell. "Gilbert!!!" A woman yells. I recognize the voice as James nurse. She sounds worried. And she screams again. I lift my dress and start running. When I make it to the house me and gilbert get to the door at the same time. We make our way inside and Gilbert goes straight to his father's room. I stay behind him and peek my head in to see Gilbert in tears holding his father's hand by the bed. I feel a sharp pain In my chest and tears swell up in my eyes. I leave the room letting Gilbert be alone with his father and I sit on at the table with my head in hands crying. When Gilbert does leave the room he has tears running down his face. I stand up and hug him and he berries his face into my neck.

On the day of the funeral I stay with Gilbert. I walk next to him with our arms locked as we walk behind the buggy carrying his father. The service was beautiful but you could feel the sadness everywhere. I stand behind Gilbert at the grave letting him be there with his father. After the priest speaks i make my way back to Gilbert and hold his arm. We walk over to the bench and we sit. I watch as he let's a snowflake fall on his hand and watch is slid off. "I can go.."I whisper. "Thank you.." he says. I smile and stand up kissing his head a d leaving to his house for the wake. I make it to his house and decied I don't wanna go inside with all the people. I sit on the porch and start thinking about James. He was an amazing person. He was the sweetest man I knew. Next to mathew. In the month I've spent with him and Gilbert we became closer. He was a father figure to me really. I get cut out of my thoughts as I see Gilbert walking away from the house i stand up to go after him but not before an e runs thru the door chasing after him. I watch as she catches up and I walk behind them. I easdrop really and hear Anne ramble. And she says that he's rather lucky. He stops and turns around. "You think I'm lucky?!" He says. "Well yes more then me." Anne says. My mouth falls open. "And how is this about you?" He asked. "It's not I just-" "Goodbye anne." He says and walks away. I run after Gilbert sending a glare at Anne. I catch up to him and walk next to him. "She didn't mean that." I say. He dosent respond. I wrap my arm around his and hold his hand in his coat pocket. We just walk in silence for a long while.

When I make it home that night I come in to see Anne putting the silverware away and mathew smoking. "Goodevening." I say putting my coat by the door and slipping my snow covered boots off. "How's gilber dear?"mathew asked. "As good as he can be." I say sitting next to Anne. "What ever were you talking about when I saw you and Gilbert?" I ask helping with the silverware. "I was just trying to help it's not my fault he took it thr wrong way." Anne says. "Anne you have to understand. His father just passed. He is very sensitive right now." I say. She nods.

The next day after I do my morning chores I go to gilberts. I knock and he dosent answer. I open the door slowly peeking inside. "Gilber-" I stop when I see him sitting at the kitchen table staring at the ground. I walk inside putting my coat away and I kneel down infront of him. "Gilbert."I say lifting his head. He looks at me and just starts crying. I hold him tight and let him cry into my chest.

After Gilbert calmed done i made us some tea and we sat and talked. We hear a knock at the door and I stand up opening the door. "Goodmorning gil- oh hello billie?"Diana says confused. I look at the three girls. Ruby anne and diana. "Um please come in."I say stepping out of the way. They come inside and I close the do and make my way back to me seat at the table. They sit a porslin dish on the table and Gilbert looks at it taking the cover off. "We're sorry to intrude. But we wanted you to have that." Ruby says. "We're wanted to say we're sorry for your loss.." Diana says. "It's a sheperds pie. We made it together excplecially for you." Ruby adds with a sweet tone. "Thank you." Gilber nods. I glare at Anne and see her standing rather awkwardly. "We hope you like sheperds pie." Diana says smiling. "Everyone likes sheperds pie." Ruby says with a bite of harshness towrds diana. "We hope it's a confort to you gilbert." She says with a rather scary smile. "Anne made the topping. She's a good cook." Diana adds. "But I would make a terrible wife!!" Anne shouts unexpectedly. We all look at her confused and she runs out. Diana and ruby turn back around shocked. "Well jm thank you for stopping by." Gilbert eat says standing up. There's and awkward silence before the girls leave. When. They leave I give Gilbert a weird look and he scratches his neck disappearing in the other room. I furrow my eyebrow in confusion.

The next morning I told marilla I would stay home today to catch up on my chores. I have changed into my boy clothes and I'm in the barn shoveling. Jerry walks inside and stops when he sees me. "Your back."He says and starts his work. "I never left jer." I add. "Maybe not but you didn't come around for a good while." He says. "I was busy jer. But don't worry I'll catch up on my work." I say annoyed. "Busy with the blythe boy." He mumbles. I throw my shovel to floor and walk over to him. "Whats your issue?" I ask. "I don't have one!" He adds not giving me the time of day. "No! what's going on jer why are you so angry with me?" I ask pulling him to look at me. "It's just there's alot of work to do on the farm excplecially since it's gotten colder and your never here." He says. "That's it?" I ask. He nods. "Well Im sorry you feel that way. I state and go back to my shovel. I continue working like a promised marilla.