Chapter 1

Trudging through the mud of the jungle, you find yourself coming upon a clearing in the forest. As the deep mud hardened on the path ahead, you changed out you shoes for your much cleaner sandals. Reaching down into your bag as the beads and bones of your necklace grace your hair, you push back the lose strands. You decide to carry your shoes along with you, hoping to not appear indecent but also understanding that they were the only work shoes available to you, you pushed the thought back in your mind for the plan to leave them before entering a home. Taking a deep breath, you pass through the threshold, leaving the jungle and preparing yourself for the unknown journey to come.

You were concerned to find a hurricane stricken town as small homes were being rebuilt. You rushed down the cobblestone and dirt path, finding a small family lifting and nailing boards back into their place.

"Do you need help?" You asked with hitched breath.

"Oh, please!" You aided the worn mother as she struggled with the weight of a wooden beam, pushing with all the strength you had. You heaved for a minute before finding yourself nearly giving into the weight. But, surprisingly the heavy board instantly became weightless and your pained face softened, turning your head upwards and titling towards the board. You released your grasp once the board lifted with ease and found yourself wide-eyed staring back at a small girl with the whole beam in her hands. She had freckles, curly hair tied back in a ribbon, and ... muscle? What the hell is this town?

She blinked back at you innocently, "Oh, you're new."

All you could do was wave back, you've never seen anything like this before and somehow the small family you were surrounded by simply thanked her and carried about their business.

You then clear your throat while breaking the awkward glance, "Hi, ... my name is (Y/N) (L/N). I was summoned here by my village's curandero under the request of Alma Madrigal."

Unsure why you were speaking so formal to a small child, you shifted a bit after your sentence.

"Oh, you mean Abuela?"

You glance back at the young girl, "Sorry, I didn't ask. What is your name?"

"Mine is Luisa Madrigal, but I like your's more. That's so cool that we're going to have a pretty magic lady staying with us!"

You giggle at the charm of this child which eases your nerves from the state of this town, you then return your attention to the situation. "Is everyone in your family well?"

"Oh yeah, this just happens sometimes when Tía Pepa gets angry."

Your stomach sinks for a moment. Who are these people? Are they dangerous? Are they even human?

"Oh..." Was all you managed to squeak out. The little girl giggled and took your hand. "La casita is this way, Abuela will be happy to hear you're here, even though she is a little upset at Tío Bruno right now." You noticed that at the mention of 'Bruno' a few villagers glanced your way, you then made eye contact with an elderly man who's wide eyes seemed to be warning you, 'Be wary of that one'.

Oh no, ...I think my mentor greatly underestimated the possible severity of this case. .. What am I even here for? Am I meant to aid someone? Why didn't they ask for a true curandero? Who is this family? And who is 'Bruno'? Your train of thought is then ceased by the sights of a torn building, with what seems to be a lone-standing tower with a 't' shaped metal frame at the top. Having the traits of a building you had never seen before, you saw remnants of candles, wilting flowers, and white fabric. That's strange, a wedding must have taken place only a few days ago. As the small child tugs on your arm, the townspeople begin to whisper and stare with some signs of relief in their faces as you near the end of the cobblestone path. I have no idea why I am here, but at least they seem a little happier at the sight of me.

You then turn your attention back to the road, finding a clearing near the end which opened up to this grand home. You admired its beauty, entranced by the sight of the lovely home which somehow appeared untouched by the storm. You were startled seeing a beautiful window seal you were admiring swing open and gently sway from side-to-side from its hinges.

"Casita is saying hello." The little girl whispered as she leaned closer, then letting go of your arm allowing you to timidly wave back. The girl then ran into the house, assuming that she was retrieving her grandmother you remained still, hoping to be polite by not walking into the home without meeting the matriarch first. You shifted a bit, nervous while realigning your beads and fixing your hair to appear more neat. But you couldn't help listening in on the yelling from the inside as you placed your dirtied work shoes by a planter.

"I don't care, Mamá, I don't want to see him ever again! If he wants to run and hide back in his tower like a child, let him!"

"Lower your voice, the whole village can hear you."

"Let them hear, they already hate Bruno. What else will they think if I hate him, too?!"

The rumbling of a thunderstorm began to shake the ground beneath you.

"I was only trying to help your nerves. Look, now you're scaring poor Luisa." This masculine but warm voice then softened, "Come here mija, there's nothing to be scared of." He sounded so, ... genuine. Something about this voice drew you in. Was this Bruno?

Silence then fell throughout the house and you felt bad for overhearing it all. You then jump back at the sound of clear footsteps from inside nearing the front door. Turning your whole body around and playing with the sleeve of your dress, you hoped to seem innocent. However, you jumped once water began to fall on you and with a worried expression, you turned around to face a fuming redhead and her concerned newlywed husband striding out of the house with bags in hand. Your horrified expression turned into one of sorrow as the woman barely recognized your presence, too busy holding back tears that were now spilling and smearing her makeup. Before you could find a way to comfort her a voice of an elderly woman calls from inside, causing you to turn back towards the casita.

"Oh, hello (Y/N), I am so sorry you had to arrive here in such conditions. Everything was meant to be organized and perfect for your visit, I am so sorry you had to see all of that."

You give the woman a polite but shy smile, "It is alright, señora. Please, don't apologize. I understand that family matters come first before anything. Please, let me know if there's anything I can help with."

The sorrowful face of the woman lightened at your response, "I guess they were right when they said you are admirable. My name is Alma Madrigal which you seem to already know. But, please call me Alma."

You didn't quite understand what she meant by this statement, but you brushed it off as she greeted you with a hug and followed her into this mysterious, grand home you will have to soon become familiar with.