BEACH DAZE

a tickling story
tkl_my_feet

It had been a blisteringly hot summer thus far. The month of August had grown warmer as the days rolled on, but the balmy weather would soon come to an abrupt end, as it always did. So for Kelly and Morgan, two twenty-something best friends, that meant one thing; a beach trip.

Houses whipped past the windows in a blur as they drove, leaving town in their rearview mirror. The paved freeway had become a winding county road as their destination grew nearer. There were several beaches nearby - one only a stone's throw from home - but its popularity meant large crowds of people this time of year, especially on a gorgeous day like this. From locals to tourists, there would be sun-drenched bodies from one end to the other.

A far better option was a private beach a little off the beaten path, a place where vivid blue water met rolling dunes. Though it certainly had a name, local residents simply referred to it as 'the beach'. Although it was technically private, it wasn't strictly enforced, and its exclusive status managed to keep out the majority of curious travellers. The area was sparsely populated with seasonal cottages, the inhabitants of which were wealthy retirees who didn't frequent the warm sands too often. You'd occasionally spot a local going for a stroll, typically bright and early in the morning as the sun climbed above the horizon on the beach's east end. But for the most part, it remained peacefully still.

Today, however, it was going to have two visitors. The duo pulled onto the grassy shoulder of the gravel laneway, making sure to give plenty of room for other vehicles to slip by. Shifting to 'Park' and stepping out of their air-conditioned sedan into the muggy Summer air, they proceeded to gather the necessary items for the day.

"Can ya grab the towels from the backseat, please?" asked Kelly, as she opened the trunk to retrieve a small cooler.

"Yup, I gotta grab a few other things anyway," Morgan replied, while tucking her hair up under her wide-brimmed sun hat.

"Great, thanks. I have the bag with my tanning oil, and hairbrush, and let's see... yeah, your sunblock is here, too."

"Awesome, lock the car and let's go!" said Morgan enthusiastically, as she ambled toward the ocean.

Kelly hadn't stepped foot on this particular beach before, but this wasn't Morgan's first visit to the area. Once a year she would visit for a long weekend with family and friends, for an event affectionately referred to as 'Beach Daze'. Last year she'd spent the majority of the time catching up with rarely seen relatives, eating delicious barbecue, and getting buzzed on vodka coolers. But as much as Morgan enjoyed the annual event, she didn't care too much for a particular individual that always made his presence known; a boy by the name of Marcus.

Although he was neither a blood relative nor a friend and lived a few hours away, the irritating boy made an appearance every single year. He was typically the last person she wanted to think about, especially on a day like this, but he popped into her head after seeing the white beach drawing ever closer as they strolled along.

A few years older than herself, he'd always appeared to have a fondness for her, affectionately calling her 'Red', an uninspired nickname that she despised. But that wasn't what bothered her most, rather it was a peculiar interest in making her laugh that was the cause of her disdain. Why he insisted upon bothering others was unknown. Yet with each passing year, he appeared to become more obsessed with one thing: tickling. She wasn't his only target though, as he'd routinely tickle any girl that was careless enough to let their guard down. Whether it was a gentle poke in the ribs or a scribble of his fingers across an unprotected foot, he seemed to relish in the laughter all the same. But of all the girls he made squeal and jump, he seemed to have her in his sights most frequently, at least from her perspective.