Casian ~ 10 Extreme Team Bonding

The river receded into a thinner and thinner line. I kept looking over my shoulder as we traveled. Everything seemed normal, no other strange encounters with strange monsters. The grasses grew taller and taller around us until we were swimming through them. Above us, the sky grew steadily dark and pale stars shone. We walked until the moon rose and the expansive prairie around us sprouted rocks. Off in the distance, the rocks became thin pillars. They looked like a stone giant's fingers clawing up from the earth to seize the sky.

We sheltered underneath some boulders for the rest of the night. We were too tired to start a fire, so we collapsed close together, using our own body heats for warmth. My eyes closed. A jab in my ribs by Samhil woke me. I yawned and looked around. The sky was grey with cloud cover, but it did not make much of a difference since the sun was barely up anyway. I wanted to complain about not getting enough sleep and my leg being too sore, but Samhil had already started off without us. Nixa looked half dead, but he trudged along behind. I hurried after them.

We walked all day, but my companions actually talked to me that afternoon. From Samhil, it was mostly just comments about the dreary weather and the little creatures that ran across our path, but still something. We took several breaks, mostly for me. During which, I encouraged Nixa to talk more about his wood carving. He rambled on for a time about the different tools he used, but at the heart of it, he liked to create art. He liked the curves and edges, shaping one thing into another. He described it as if it were poetry and I promised to let him teach me one day.

That night we ate what little food Samhil still had left in his satchel. Nixa said that he thought there was a village up ahead where we could get food. I could not remember where the smaller villages were, so I just trusted him.

"How much farther?" I asked.

"I think we could be there tomorrow," Nixa replied. So, 'instead of wasting time searching for food', Samhil's words, we went on the next day without food. My stomach sounded like an angry bear by the next evening. Nixa retreated into himself even more. He pointed at a rock that stood like a lone pillar.

"I found him here, Malem,... what was left." His voice was cold, but his eyes seemed distant. I could not help but picture what he must have meant. After so many years, Prince Malem would have been nothing but a skeleton. Nixa did not seem to notice when tears fell from his eyes.

A low hiss came from the rocks on our right. The creature from the river crept forward. It had been waiting for us. In the dim light, its crystals looked sharper and more malicious. It hissed and outstretched its hand like it was reaching for us.

Nixa yelped, and we saw Malem's journal floating through the air. Nixa lunged for it, but by that time it had reached the creature. It took the journal and ran. Nixa yelled, taking off after it. A bad feeling tugged at me and I saw Samhil's brow crease, but we chased after Nixa. The creature was surprisingly fast and soon we had lost it. "NO!"

Nixa leaned forward on his knees, breathing heavily. He now had angry tears streaming down his face. I put a hand on his shoulder, but he did not react. "Over here!" Samhil was crouched behind some rocks. He motioned for us to come over. We crowded around him and peered into the mouth of a hidden cave.

"Do you want to follow?" Samhil asked Nixa.

"Yes." Nixa practically jumped in. After constructing and lighting two rudimentary torches, Samhil pulled the straps on his satchel tighter and lowered himself into the cave. I supposed that left me little choice. I followed.

The cave opening narrowed into a rough corridor. We scrambled up and over the rocks, our hands slick with condensation. As I watched water drip and slide down the smooth side of the cave, I could easily imagine that we were inside the organs of a gargantuan beast. Chills crept up my arms. What if we were? Anything felt possible now. The beastly cave seemed to exhale, a tremor running underneath my feet. With a jolt I realized our mistake. We had followed the earth-shaking, earth-manipulating creature underground. I called up to Samhil and Nixa. My words echoed around us like an alarm bell. They scrambled back to me, but not quickly enough.