Mistakes

Sophia

Sometimes the universe makes mistakes. Actually, the multiverse does. But most of you don't ever have to worry about that, thanks to me. My name is Sophia, and I'm the Keeper of Earth in Universe A135 – or as you probably call it, the world. Just like... everyone else does in every other universe. Imagine that.

But let's back up for a second. Yes, it's true. The multiverse does exist, and there are many worlds in many universes. Each one has someone like me to Keep it. When I die, someone else will take my place. I'm a pretty normal person,  I was an absolute nobody when I was picked for this job. But they chose me anyway.

Who are they?

They are not presidents, prime ministers, heads of church or religious leaders. At least, not the visible ones. They are not even the billionaires who you might assume run the world. I know that they are none of these things, but they are more powerful than all the politicians, kings, and tycoons combined.

How do I know that? I've seen some shit. But mostly, it's just a feeling. There's something about them. Something... off.

If I'm honest with you, I don't know much. I only know what they need me to know. I know enough to do my job.

About my job... how do I put this? Sometimes, there are two versions of the same person in one world. No wait, it's more like, a copy of a person suddenly shows up. Well actually... whatever, you get it.

How does it happen? I have no clue. But trust me when I say it's possible that people can just leave their universe and end up in another one. One where they don't belong.

This glitch threatens the very fabric of the third dimension. At least, that's what I've been told. It's a disruption... a drop that turns into a ripple that eventually becomes a tidal wave.

I am alerted of the, uh, "hiccup" once the native self and the foreign self meet in this universe. They always meet eventually. It's as if a magnetic pull brings them together. They don't know why they have the urge to go a certain place that day, or take a certain route, they just do. And when they actually come face to face with their doppelgänger, some of them investigate, others brush it off as simply a strange coincidence.

It doesn't matter what they do though, because once they meet, I have one week to fix it. And don't ask what happens if I don't fix it within a week, because I have no idea. I always make the deadline. I'm pretty efficient.

You probably want to know how I "fix" the situation. To put it bluntly, I kill them. I'm an assassin, I guess. But I try not to dwell on the negative connation of that word, because technically I'm an assassin for the greater good. I mean, would YOU want to find out what happens if the space time continuum rips open? I certainly don't.

I know it might seem strange that I don't know all the whys and hows, but I honestly don't need to. All I know is that some people don't belong here, and the world is counting on me to make it right. 

Wouldn't that be enough for you?