013┆chapter thirteen

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

thirteen. sous-chef

▬▬ CASSIE HAD NEVER BEEN SO NERVOUS. The drive to the Black residence seemed longer then usual and the longer she sat there thinking about everything, the more her nerves grew. Her fingers drummed against the rubber of the steering wheel as she chewed on her lower lip.

She hadn't spoken to Jacob in over a week, she had gotten small bits of information from her sister as she had enlisted the younger boy to help her rebuild two motorcycles. But she didn't get much, she was scared to ask. She wondered if the boy hated her now, after putting their amazing friendship though so much only for it to turn to crap.

As she pulled into the long driveway she took a breath, she parked closer to the garage and cut her truck off before jumping out of the old hunk of beat up metal. As she shut the door the boy neared her, his hands shoved into his pockets and his long hair pulled back from his face.

"Hi." She mumbled, her chestnut eyes on his.

"Hey, Cas." He gave her a small smile and she relaxed, letting out a breath.

"We need to talk."

"Yeah." He nodded, his face showing the smallest bit of emotion, he was holding back. "Uh, come on. I could actually use a few pointers on these bikes." He tried to smile but it was forced and she nodded before following him to the small building the stood a several feet from the house.

It was quiet, too quiet. Neither wanted to speak first but Cassie knew she had to. "So." She started. "I've been thinking and rethinking and I messed up."

"What?" His brows pinched as he turned towards her.

"Yeah." She let out a forced laugh. "Maybe I rushed things, telling you how I felt, then again when I said we needed time. I just thought . . . I thought that if you felt the same then we could be this amazing couple."