03

Tobi, a tall light skinned boy with  small beady eyes, a large pointed nose and thin lips that were peach in colour, was the only son to Tayo's uncle.

He was welcoming, but had an arrogant aura that basically surrounded him like a halo.

He was quite the talker too and it took barely an hour after Tayo's arrival that he found out they were of the same age and that Tobi's mother had passed on when he was barely two.

"It has been just me and my dad ever since." The boy mumbled as he stared out the balcony attached to Tayo's  new room which overlooked the balcony of a house that was of similar model just like all the other houses on that street.

"Dad briefed me on everything concerning you and your mom. I'm sorry about that man, but it's a good thing you're here, you'll love it here. I mean, I never knew I had a male cousin. I'd always thought dad had just a single sister and that is aunt Margaret and her girls. They live in surulere and I usually go there to visit every Sunday evening's. You probably don't know her but you'll go with me on my next visit".

Tayo had only managed a small smile comfortable with simply listening to Tobi ramble before the boy had left, the door closing behind him, his reason being to allow Tayo rest after his long journey.

Finally alone in his new room, Tayo couldn't help but look around in awe.

When the car had first entered the estate through the main gate, Tayo had been too stunned to breathe as he stared and the buildings that stood side by side gleaming In the sunlight.

The buildings were of different sizes but had the same model and were painted the same maroon and milk colour.

The exterior of the house was beautiful but proved to be a tip of the iceberg as Tayo took in his new room.

It was thrice the size of the one back home in lokoja and was furnished to taste.

The walls were painted a rather dull grey while the dark wooden furnitures were cushioned white.

Tayo glanced at the medium sized plasma TV that was placed on the wall opposite his bed. His gaze shifted down to the curved wooden cabinet below it which housed a decoder, remotes and a stack of CDs neatly arranged.

Standing up from the bed, he walked towards a tall bookshelf that stood adjacent to the television set.

It was mostly empty except for the first row of which Tayo immediately identified a few books he had very much enjoyed and still enjoy reading, his very favourite being 'half of a yellow sun' by Chimamanda Adichie the other, Bayo Adebawole's Lonely Days.

Letting out a small sigh he walked towards his box that was placed at the front of the tall dresser and began unpacking.

***
UNEDITED