Chapter 1-Introductions

Virgil was a cat, and an incredibly smart one at that. He was adopted by two men who he learned were called Logan and Roman. He didn't call them just that though, sometimes he called them both dad because he heard it somewhere from one of them.

They adopted him when he was only a month old, purely because Roman adored the dull purple of his eyes. They weren't actually purple, that wasn't a thing. It was because the lighting conditions made it look that way, and his eyes were actually a gorgeous blue-lilac. When Roman found that out, he adored him more, and practically begged Logan to get him.

He didn't like Roman much at first, since he was incredibly loud and hurt his ears. Also because he put him in a closed box thing and took him to this place where people he didn't know stuck these sharp thin things in him. He avoided him for a while after.

He wasn't that bad, though. He fed him what Logan called "people food" sometimes, and it always tasted good. He especially liked chicken, even if Logan said it was bad.

Then there was Logan, who despite not letting him eat people food, was his favorite out of the two. He was nice, quiet, and he gave really good pets and scratches because his claws/nails were longer than Roman's. They spent a lot of time together, and he often curled up next to him when he slept at night too.

Logan was also the one who named him, and he liked the name Virgil much more than Bravery or Dragonflyer. He was glad the second one was shot down pretty quickly.

Their house was nice too, lots of places to hide and explore. They even had a small flappy thing that he liked to walk through that led to the backyard.

Once he got older, they let him go outside, and that was always fun. Sometimes he'd disappear for hours and bring back gifts for them. They always threw them out though, and he got in trouble when he tried to get them back.

A little while after they started letting him outside, he found a hurt kitten, and it was so small he couldn't tell the age. It was most likely the runt of the litter and abandoned. It had a bite mark on its side, presumably from whatever attacked it, scratches, and it was unconscious.

He got worried for it, so he picked it up by the back of its neck. Being careful not to hurt it, he ran back home for Roman and Logan to look at. They, of course, got incredibly worried as well and put the kitten in the carrier thing, then left rather quickly, leaving him alone.

It would be a long time before they came back, so he went to their room and slept on a pillow on the bed. They returned late, and they had put the kitten in a pile of blankets and told him not to go near, so he didn't get a good look.

He slept right next to the blankets so that when he or the kitten woke up he could see if it was okay. During the night he heard meowing, which meant the kitten was awake, so he woke up as well.

It seemed wary of him, which was understandable from the condition it was in when he found it. He moved closer, and it hissed and swiped at him with a harsh "Stay back!" (When their talking it's in cat language, aka movement, not just meows)

"Hey, I'm not going to hurt you. I won't come near if you don't want me to" he said as he sat down, trying to show that he wasn't going to cause harm.

The animal didn't say anything, but moved closer to sniff around him. Virgil let this happen, because he needed to gain the trust of the kitten if they were going to live together.

"I'll trust you for now, but don't try anything!" It hissed, staying a couple feet away an settling down and sat with its feet under it, ready to run at any moment.

"Okay, you got a name?" Virgil asked, observing the smaller creature from a distance.

"No. But the humans called me Remy at the strange place, so just call me that. What about you?" The kitten, Remy, responded.