30 | 彼だった

TAEHYUNG WATCHED IN HORROR as the car struck Jennie and sent her spiraling to the street. He yelled her name again as he ran for her. Jimin and Jungkook knelt beside Jennie, and he shoved his way in. His breath caught in his throat when he saw her beautiful eyes open and stare up at him.

Her face contorted in pain, and she struggled to get up.
"No!" he shouted. "No," he said in a lower voice when she winced at his tone. "Stay there, baby. Oh my God, are you okay?"

He yanked his cell phone out of his pocket and punched in 911.

"No, Taehyung, don't," she protested, holding her hand up. "I'm fine, really. It's just my hip. The car mostly missed me."

Mostly. Jesus. Was she trying to give him a heart attack?

"What the hell was that idiot doing?" Jimin demanded, his voice shaking as he stroked over Jennie's hair.

Taehyung shot Jimin a quelling look. The hit-and-run was no accident, and he didn't want Jennie more afraid than she already was.

"Jennie, we need to call an ambulance," Jungkook said gently. "You could be hurt."

By now a small crowd had assembled up and down the street. Taehyung heard the wail of a siren.

"I don't want to go to the hospital," Jennie said, her eyes pleading with Taehyung. "Let me get up. I'm only a little banged up."

He wavered a moment, his concern for her overriding all else. She moved against Jimin's hand, trying to squirm her way up.

"Easy, baby," he cautioned.
Taehyung reached down and lifted her easily into his arms.

"Can you stand?" he asked, unwilling to set her down yet.

"I'm fine, really. Just a little shaken."

With great care, he set her down on her feet. Jungkook's hands came out to steady her as she wobbled the slightest bit. She rubbed her hip with her hand, her fingers catching in the torn material down her leg.

"These were my favorite pair of jeans," she said ruefully.

Unable to stand it a moment longer, Taehyung crushed her to him, his arms holding her tightly against him. He drew in several steadying breaths, trying to calm the adrenaline that buzzed through his veins.

Some son of a bitch had just tried to kill her. He'd bet his entire cabin that it was her soon-to-be-ex-husband. He stared over at his brothers and saw answering rage in their eyes. He put a finger to his lips and they nodded their understanding.

A police cruiser roared up seconds later, followed quickly by an ambulance. People crowded round as the paramedics examined Jennie and the cops questioned everyone.

An hour later, Jennie signed no transport papers, and the crowd began to disperse. The responding officer took the last statement and climbed into his cruiser.

Jennie's eyes were etched with pain and fatigue. Taehyung knew she hadn't been completely honest about the extent of her injuries, and he planned to remedy the situation immediately.

He tossed the keys to Jungkook. "You drive."

He bent and picked Jennie up into his arms and cradled her gently against his chest. She didn't protest, only expelled a weary sigh as she rested her head on his shoulder. He walked over to the Land Rover and eased into the backseat with her.

Jimin turned around in the front seat, his eyes bright with worry. "Are you all right, Jennie?"

She stirred in Taehyung's arms and put out her hand to touch Jimin's arm. "I'm fine. I promise. Just a little shaky now that it's all over with."