32 | 釜山

THEY ARRIVED IN BUSAN by noon and Taehyung pulled into the small parking lot of the sheriff's office. Jennie looked less than thrilled when she realized where they'd stopped.

"We need to tell Soo-young what's going on so she can be on the lookout for kai," he explained. "If she sees him, she can let us know. Added protection."

"But will she?" Jennie asked softly, turning her wide eyes on him. "Tell us, I mean?"

The question hung between them, hovering in the air.

"I don't see why we need to involve her," Jimin spoke up.
Taehyung ignored Jimin. "Do you trust me, baby?"

"You know I do," Jennie said. "It's her I don't trust."

"Then know I'd never do anything to endanger you."

Jennie stared back at him for a long moment then nodded.

Satisfaction rolled and flexed inside him. He reached over and squeezed her hand. "Come on, this won't take but a second."

She sucked in a deep breath and opened her door to get out. Personally, she'd rather pluck her fingernails off one by one than have to deal with the jealous redhead.

The four trekked into the small building and Park Soo-young looked up from where she sat behind her desk. She lifted a brow in question as Taehyung strode across the floor toward her.

Jennie hung back, and Jimin slipped his arm around her neck, letting his hand dangle loosely over her shoulder.

Soo-young stood, her eyes warily glancing over Taehyung and beyond to where Jennie, Jimin and Jungkook stood.

"Tae," she said nodding in his direction. "What can I do for you?"

"We've got a problem, Soo-young. We could use your help."

"What kind of problem?"

"Kai," Taehyung said harshly. "We have reason to believe he's trying to kill Jennie."

Soo-young leaned back against her desk and folded her arms across her chest. "You sure about that, Tae?"

"I'm sure. Now can we expect help from you?"

She swept her gaze up and down Jennie before her eyes darted back to Taehyung. "Yeah, whatever I can do. You know that."

"I need to know if you see him," he said. "Immediately."

"Don't want me to detain him?" she asked. "You want to press charges?"

"We don't have proof. Yet," he added.

"You gonna hole up at the cabin then?"

He nodded. "For now. Until we're sure Jennie's safe."

Something that looked remarkably like hurt flashed in the other woman's eyes. Jennie felt a pang of sympathy. It was obvious Soo-young had feelings for Taehyung, and just as obvious that he didn't return them.

"I'll keep my eyes open, and I'll tell my deputies to do the same," Soo-young said. "But if he shows up, don't do anything stupid, Tae. You call me."

"We'll do whatever it takes to ensure Jennie's safety," he said evenly. "I won't make any promises as to how that happens.

"Good enough. I'll check in on y'all when I'm up there next."

"Thanks, Soo-young. We appreciate it."

He tipped his Stetson in her direction then turned to face Jennie and the others. "Let's get on home now."