33 | ニーズ [M]

IT HAD THE MAKINGS OF a perfect evening. The snow had finally stopped falling, leaving the landscape covered in a fresh blanket of white. A fire blazed in the hearth, and Jennie sat on the floor playing Monopoly with Jungkook and Jimin. Taehyung shut down the computer and ambled over to sit behind Jennie.

He stroked her hair, enjoying her interaction with his brothers. Yes, it was a perfect night. So it shouldn’t have surprised him when the phone rang.

He sighed in disgust and dropped his hand from Jennie’s hair.

“Don’t answer,” she said huskily, turning to smile at him sweetly.

For a moment, he almost heeded her request. But it could be Jin calling with news, or it could be Mom and Dad. “I’ll be right back,” he said, dropping a kiss on her upturned lips.

He shoved himself from the floor just as the phone quit ringing. Before he could settle back down, his cell phone started buzzing.

Fuck. Whatever it was, it must be important.

He walked over to the computer desk and flipped open his cell phone.

“Taehyung here,” he said shortly.

“Tae? It’s Soo-young. Look, I need your help. All of you if you can swing it. I’ve got a missing kid. Fresh Snowfall's made it impossible to pick up any tracks. I could use you.”

Taehyung sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Damn. The last thing he wanted to do was trek out into the cold, but he couldn’t very well leave a child out to freeze to death.

“Where do we need to come?” he asked in resignation.

“Meet me in town. We’re organizing our search here at headquarters. And listen, Tae. Bring your rifles. We have reason to believe this is an abduction.”

Taehyung shut the phone and looked up to see three pair of eyes watching him.

Jennie uncurled her legs and stood up. She walked over to him, worry creasing her brow. “What’s wrong?” she asked.

Behind her, Jungkook and Jimin also stood, their attention focused solely on him.

“That was Soo-young,” he said. He glanced down at Jennie to gauge her reaction.
She frowned slightly but didn’t say anything.

“What did she want?” Jimin demanded.

“She needs our help. Got a kid gone missing and with the fresh snowfall, they can’t get any tracks.”

“Man…” Jungkook said.

“You have to go,” Jennie said softly. “I mean, you have to find the child.”

He nodded.

“You go on. I’ll be fine,” she said, hugging her arms around her.

“One of us should stay,” Taehyung said, looking to his brothers for confirmation. “Jennie shouldn’t be alone.”

He didn’t want to alarm her, but there was no way they’d leave her unprotected with her husband out there. The incident in Seoul was still too fresh in his memory.

“I’ll stay,” Jungkook said. “You and Jimin go on.”

Taehyung nodded. “All right.”

He enfolded Jennie in his arms. “We’ll be back as soon as we can, baby.”

She reached up on tiptoe and kissed him. “Bet your ass you will.”

He grinned. Then he turned to Jimin. “You ready?”