36 | 危険

JENNIE SLOWLY OPENED HER EYES, surprised at the effort it took. The air was frigid around her, and her jaw ached.

She didn't recognize her surroundings. She was in a one-room cabin, lying on the floor. She tested her arms and found they were free from the handcuffs she'd worn earlier.

Pale shades of light beamed through the one window. Dawn. So she'd been here at least two hours.

Tears leaked from her eyelids. Jungkook. She'd never even told him she loved him. And now she'd never get that chance.

A sound startled her then pain assaulted her hip as her captor kicked her.

"I see you're awake. Good. Now get up."

She gazed warily up at him. It was the first good look she'd gotten of him. She'd expected a mean brute of a man, but she stared at what appeared to be a mild-mannered man of tall height and size.

He smirked as if reading her thoughts.

"Don't let my appearance fool you, my dear. Now you can get up of your own accord or I'll get you up, and I assure you, it won't be a pleasant experience."

Terror washed through her system. She wanted to vomit. She put her hand out to prop herself up and shoved herself from the floor. As soon as she stood, the man grabbed her arm and jerked her toward a chair.

"Have a seat."

She sank down in the chair situated by an old desk. The chair heaved and groaned as she settled her slight weight on it, and for a moment, she feared it would collapse.

She put out her hand to the desk to balance herself. She was cold. Colder than she'd ever been in her life. There was no heat in the cabin. No protection from the biting cold. Her limbs felt like blocks of ice. She shivered uncontrollably. Once she started, she couldn't stop.

The man lit a cigarette and lazily blew smoke. He leaned against the small sink and watched her with cold eyes.
"I won't beat around the bush. I'm going to kill you."

Panic flooded her. Her throat tightened, and for a moment she couldn't breathe. She didn't want to die.

"But I'm going to be civil about it."

He looked amused at his proclamation. He even emitted a dry chuckle.

"I'll offer you a choice. A very quick, painless death, or," he paused for effect, "it can be a very messy, very prolonged, very painful death. Your choice."

Her mouth went dry.

"All you have to do is tell me who all knows what happened on your wedding night. Very simple. Mr. Kim is very keen to protect his interests. Which would be difficult in a jail cell, as I'm sure you can imagine."

He took out a large, sharp-looking knife as he spoke. He caressed the sleek metal with his fingertips, running them over the edge to the point.

Jennie's mind raced. He was a talkative bastard. He was clearly enjoying the situation. Obviously if she talked, it would be over with in a matter of minutes. She eyed the knife, abject terror raging through her body.

She closed her eyes and tried to summon her courage. She pictured Jungkook and bit the inside of her cheek to keep from weeping. She couldn't allow this bastard to get away with what he'd done.

"So what will it be, Mrs. Kim? Shall we enjoy a brief conversation before your untimely demise?"

Her hand splayed out over the desk and she stood to her feet. "Go to hell," she spat.