40 | 残り

"I'M SO SORRY," he choked out.

She stirred in her sleep.

"Jungkook," she murmured. Then tears slid from beneath her lids once more.

He finally lost the battle to stay upright. He sagged and Taehyung and Jimin scrambled to catch him. They hauled him over to the bed and with the help of the nurse settled him in. She then proceeded to lug in the IV poles and reattach the lines.

She fussed over him for a good hour before finally leaving them alone.

"Promise me, you'll wake me when she does," Jungkook said as he stared at Taehyung in exhaustion.

"I will," he replied. "Now get some rest. You aren't any good to her in your present condition."

Jungkook nodded and closed his eyes. He was asleep before his head fully reclined against the pillow.

Taehyung turned and sank down onto the sofa while Jimin took the chair next to it.

"We came close to losing them," he said quietly.
Taehyung nodded. "Too close."

"Something has to be done about the bastard."
Again Taehyung nodded.

Taehyung curled his fingers into fists then flexed them outward again. He repeated the action over and over. "I'll kill the son of a bitch myself before I let him close to my family again."

Jennie slowly opened her eyes and blinked a few times to clear the cobwebs

Jennie slowly opened her eyes and blinked a few times to clear the cobwebs. For a moment, she had no recollection of where she was or why she was in such an unfamiliar place. And when she did remember, pain the like she'd never felt crawled through her system.

Jungkook.

She closed her eyes and tried to remember all that had transpired, but all she could conjure was the memory of Jungkook falling, of her hand coming away from his chest covered in blood.

Hot tears filled her eyes and escaped from her lids. She felt the slow trickle as they trekked down her cheeks. A warm hand cupped her face and gently wiped at the moisture.

She opened her eyes to see Taehyung standing over her, a concerned look on his face. She blinked again to bring him into focus.

She slowly became aware of the rest of her surroundings. She was in a hospital room. Her gaze darted to her other side where she saw Jimin stumped in a chair asleep.

Just the fact that Jungkook was so conspicuously absent sent another slow crawl of agony through her heart.

A sob welled in her throat-one that she tried to call back-it threatened to choke her with its intensity. She was finally forced to let it out.

It sounded harsh and ugly, even to her own ears. And once released, more surged forth until every breath brought another cry.

"Jennie, listen to me, baby. You have to listen to me. Jungkook is okay. He's not dead. He's here."