42 | 証言する

TAEHYUNG SAT IN BROODING SILENCE, his feet perched on the windowsill of the hospital room. After the district attorney had come out of Jennie's room, she'd fallen asleep, clearly exhausted by the encounter.

The floor had gone into a flurry of activity, directed by the two troopers. Even now, a police guard had been posted at the door, and no one but hospital staff and the brothers were allowed in.

Taehyung could feel the clock ticking, and he didn't like it a damn bit. He glanced over at Jennie's pale face. She was too damn weak, not nearly recovered enough to take on her bastard husband. She needed rest, to recuperate.

"What do you think's going on?" Jimin muttered as he sat down beside Taehyung.

"Don't be talking in low voices, thinking I won't hear," Jungkook said sourly. "If there's something to be said, I want to hear it."

"We're trying not to wake Jennie up," Taehyung said pointedly. He turned back to Jimin. "I wish the fuck I knew what was going on in her head. She blames herself for what happened to Jungkook, and she's acted on that."

Jungkook swore a streak that would have their mother washing his mouth out with soap.

"So what do we do?" Jimin asked.

Taehyung shook his head. He felt so damn helpless. "I don't know. It has to be her decision. We can't make it for her."

"I don't want to lose her," Jungkook said in a tight voice.

"Do you think we do?" Jungkook asked. Anger and frustration simmered in his eyes.

Taehyung rubbed his face tiredly. They were all on pins and needles. Tired. Frustrated beyond belief. And scared to death of losing the one woman who meant everything to them.

"How can we just let her walk away?" Jungkook demanded. "Who's going to make sure that bastard husband of hers isn't going to hurt her again?"

Taehyung turned his head to the bed when he heard Jennie shift and sigh softly. Her eyes fluttered open, and he leaned forward in his seat.

"How're you feeling, baby?"

"Tired," she whispered.
He felt guilty for what he was about to do, but he wasn't going to let go without a fight. She didn't need to be pushed, but that was exactly what he was going to do.

"What's going on, baby? Why did you call the D.A.? I don't like what that implies."

She stared at him with her beautiful eyes. Eyes that were awash in sadness. And fear. Almost as if she was afraid of how he'd react when she answered his questions.

His gut tightened uncomfortably.

"It had to be done," she said.

"No, it didn't," Jungkook refuted.

Tears welled in her eyes. "You almost died, Jungkook. Because of me. Do you have any idea what that did to me? How badly it hurt? I can't stand the thought of any of you gone. I love you too much."

Taehyung glanced over at Jungkook. His brother looked to be near losing all control. Rage and grief festered like a gangrenous sore.

"I'm the one who let you down," Jungkook said in a near shout. "Don't you get it? I let that bastard into our home. I let him take you away from us. I let him nearly kill you."

Tears streamed down her face. "Jungkook..."

"I won't let you do this, Jennie. I won't let you sacrifice yourself for us," he said fiercely.