2 THE CLICK

POV MARY

    Ah the first day back after the homecoming dance in which I assume half the school is extremely hungover and or planning on skipping morning classes, luckily I had the right idea last night to come straight home. I don't mind that all of my friends were disappointed, but they also don't understand the importance of having a dry season. I grabbed my buzzing phone and realized that I pressed snoozed about three times and only have half an hour to get ready. Shit. I rushed out of my bed ignoring the soreness radiating from my feet, and went into my own bathroom. For my sixteenth birthday my parents decided to renovate  the hallway closet into my own personal bathroom, because my brother and I always found ourselves in unpleasant predicaments when sharing a tiny bathroom. 
    I turned on the shower and waited by brushing my teeth for the water to get warm. Given that everyone else in my  family most likely showered this morning, I'm stuck with cold water. As I hopped into the brisk shower I realized how great I felt. Funny. I never feel wide awake in the mornings, let alone amazing. I am ready to begin the day optimistically. As I continued to clean I noticed a small spot on my lower leg covered in blood, I must have cut myself in my sleep. Possibly it was my kitten, Lady, she is very mischievous. I continued to scrub the dry blood away, yet I could not find the source. I didn't think much of it, just odd.
    As I turned off the nozzle I heard my brother Lucas literally scream:
"Get your ass downstairs! You're making us late," then mumbled talking from our mom I assume:
"Watch your language young man!"
"Mom she does this every morning!" I laugh and get out of the shower and dry off.
Oh what to wear, I contemplate. This is easily one of the hardest things I have to do in the mornings. I decide to throw on high waisted white shorts, to complement my very tan legs, along with a form fitting pink and white striped halter top, and white converse to match. My nails matched my shirt perfectly, as do my pearl stud earrings.
    I sat down at my extremely messy vanity slash desk to do my hair. My vanity is covered in jewelry, artwork and supplies, as well as all my makeup that I rarely use, because I prefer a more natural look. I brushed out my long light brown locks and decided to throw my hair up into a messy bun so my sun kissed freckles will steal the show today. As always I'm running low on mascara, but I managed to get all that I needed.  Maybe it is just me but I find it hard to find the perfect mascara in drug stores, due to my need of brown mascara. Brown seems to be the perfect shade to look very natural and it matches my green eyes.
    I grab my cheer uniform and throw it into my pink bag with my phone charger and phone and run downstairs.
"Good morning sweetie, I packed your lunch" my mom says handing me my lunch bag. She really is the perfect mother, seventeen years later and she is still making my lunch.
"Thanks mom." I say with a pleasant smile because I genuinely mean it.
I see Luke sitting at the kitchen counter listening to his music, that I can hear from a mile away.
He notices me and says, "LET'S GO! Do you know what late means?"
"Since when are you so eager to get to school? If you wanted to be there so early, why don't you walk?" I snapped back.
"Layoff your brother, I think it is a good thing that Luke wants to be on time. Shows maturity."
"As if,"  I say under my breath while headed to the front door.
    As we all walked outside I took a moment to appreciate the beautiful weather. But then I snap back to reality and call shotgun. It is a rule in our house that if the car is in sight and everyone is around, the first person to yell shotgun gets the front passenger seat for the car ride. I heard a groan coming from Luke, I guess it is his way of showing that he cares.
"Did dad have an early meeting? I assume?" I asked as I got into the front seat.
"Yes he did. But he will be home early tonight." Mom said as she started the car and backed out of the driveway.
    I don't understand why Luke and I don't walk or ride our bikes to school. We practically live four blocks away from the school. It is a two minute drive as well. My dad always complains about how our mother shouldn't have to continue driving us because we are old enough to walk alone. But my mom is such a kind hearted person that she would do anything for us, well anything reasonable.
    I reached my hand out to the dash and started meddling with radio stations, but there was nothing good on. We really need an aux cord. Luke wouldn't complain, he always has his damn earbuds in anyways. That gets annoying, and even our parents think so. You think that he is listening but then he turns around and doesn't even realize how long you've been in the same room with him. Oh well I assume he is going through a fourteen year old male thing.
"Why can't you just take me when Mare's running late? Make her walk." We hear Luke pipe up from the back of the car. Mare is basically the nickname everyone close calls me, I guess it sounds shorter than Mary.
"Shut up, I can't just wake up and look this good," I say with my notorious smirk. Luke definitely is trying to keep a straight face. I know he loves me but I guess going to the same high school as you're older sister isn't cool.
"Because sweetie that would be rude to make your sister walk," as always mom to the rescue to end our nonstop bickerment.
"Mare needs her own car then."
"Ooh yes! Hear that mom, even Luke agrees," I have always wanted my dream car, a 1979 MGB Roadster convertible in red.
"We'll see honey," she replied, pulling into the school parking lot.
"I didn't hear a 'no'" I added sarcastically happy, and I'm pretty sure I heard a moan from the backseat as well.
    Luke and I hop out of the car as I tell my mom that I love her, she responds in a cute yet surprised manner. I can't help but feel on top of the world today. Nothing will stop me.
Mom also tells Luke to have a good day at school, but as per usual he ignores her and closes the car door.
"So how does it feel to be in the high school with your big sis Lukey?" Taunting him obviously as we walk into school  because that's what we do.
"Lame." That's all I get from him as we parted down two separate hallways. Even though I love my brother, I am glad that our lockers are in different ends of this enormous building of Oneonta High School.
Walking to my locker first thing it seems as if everyone wants to get a word in, say hi to me, compliment my summer outfit, or ask me if I went to the many parties last night. But I didn't stop long because I wanted to get the details from my most reliable sources, Ryan Paige and Michelle Wagner, my two closest friends since we had Mrs. Gallagher in kindergarten. We are an unstoppable trio.
And there they were, the two of them waiting in front of my locker.
"Late as always?! Hello time management is key." Michelle is always reprimanding me for my for silly mistakes and it's okay, she has a lot on her plate being top in our class and all.
"M, it always seems as if you are looking down upon us," I give her a big smirk.
"I can't help it if I was born as a human giraffe Mare!" She sarcastically responds. What I am about 5 '5 and she is 5' 7, she loves to exaggerate and stretch the truth. She's known for it. And half the time she can get away with it given her long blonde hair and smokin' looks.
"You need to relax M." Ry, short for Ryan laughs at Michelle. Ry is a great friend, and she is really looked down upon by M, given that she is literally 5 feet tall, with long black locks down to her butt. She was given the name Ryan because her dad wanted his first born to have that name, her dad is Oneonta's chief police and is extremely important in town. So M and I are extremely proud of Ry that she has never been caught partying or sneaking out. Anyways I am extremely curious to get some details!
"Sooo!!" I say excitedly while opening up my locker, "I want details about last night. After I left!"
"Come on Mare, I can't believe you left us! You are the life of the party." Ry was disappointed when I dropped them off at the Tyler's party last night and didn't go in.
"But guess who I saw MAKING OUT!!" M perked up out of her phone, "Tyyy and Ryyy!!"
"Oh hush, I was obviously intoxicated, and it will not happen again," Ry claims.
"I'm calling bullshit." M gave Ry a devilish smile.
"Ry it was bound to happen sometime. He has had a thing for you since like 7th grade. And all you've been playing hard to get," I say as they simultaneously follow my lead down the hallway. Ry laughed and brushed it off. I know her very well and what they have is something special.
"Anyways forget that dumb party and listen to this!! A new cutie and his sister moved to town and they are starting today. I say we befriend his sister and that's how I get with the hottie." Of course M! That's totally the way to go about it.
"What happened to Emit?" Ry questioned M.
"He's old news." M responds. Ry and I roll our eyes and laugh, of course. M goes through boys like she does with clothes, she would never be caught dead in the same outfit.
"But you two were sooo cute" Ry says sadly.
"Old news!!!" she snaps back and we laugh making a right turn into the English hallway.
"Doesn't that plan sound a bit devious M?" I comment.
"You will understand when you see him."
"He is very attractive, I can't argue with that" Ry agrees.
"His name is Malakai Mason and his sister is Abigail Mason." M says excitedly. How could she possibly know that already, I chuckle. M seems to know everything about everyone in the given minute. She can smell drama coming from a mile away. But we love her for that, she is definitely the brains in our trio.
"How could you possibly know that already? First period hasn't even started!" Ry jokingly demanded.
"Perks of being number one sweetie, I get to show new students around!" Oh M, she's too excited. I smile.