1

The great Francis Carol Xavier the Fourth was a very calm cat despite what his acquaintances will tell you. He was just too good to get angry. However, just because he was too good to get angry doesn't mean he doesn't slip from time to time. 

Now, I'm sure that if you know a good bit about cats, you would know that they are the domesticated descendants of the wildcat. They are also very territorial and protective. Francis was no exception. He was also very territorial and protective over the beings that he felt compassion for. For example, his owner. So when he saw that his owner had indeed been crying, well. You'd want to scratch someone's eyes out as well, wouldn't you?

Returning back to the present, because Francis couldn't plan out his murder plan just yet, he resolved to rub against his owner's ankle. 

"Hey Francis, how're you doing?" his owner asked, dropping their bag before squatting down to scratch Francis. 

Now, here comes the point of the story where you question whether or not Francis is able to understand his owner. And the answer is of course he can. Not only is it because he's just superior in every way, it's because cats (and dogs but we don't talk about them) have roamed along with humans for eons. So, you best believe that cats have adapted and learned to understand humans. Of course, sometimes his human will say some things that he will not understand, however, using what humans call "context clues", he will be able to determine whether or not the bundle of noises they say is positive or negative, based on body language.

Although it saddens Francis, cats are not able to replicate the noises that humans make to the degree that they would understand the feline. And believe me, Francis tried. On MULTIPLE occasions. Besides, even if they could, they probably wouldn't. After all, it is amazing the fuck with the beings that were supposed to be "the top of the food chain". Such a disappointing statement. Anyways, in response to the formerly asked question, Francis replies with a gentle and curious "meow". 

"That's good! I'm doing good as well," they respond with, giving Francis a shaky smile. Francis is not an idiot and whoever says he is extremely false. So in retaliation, Francis gives them the Look™. Well, as best as he physically could. 

"I'm being serious!" they say, smiling a bit more genuinely. No Francis does not puff up slightly with pride. He does not know what you're talking about. 

When Francis didn't stop staring at his owner they sighed and stood up (in which Francis gave back an offended look) and walked over to sit on the couch. Francis leaped up and decided to lay on his owner's very comfortable lap.

"People are shit, you know?" they asked. 

"You just realize this now?"  Francis thought, curling up more. 

"I mean, I knew before- okay good- but I didn't think they were so bad before." 

Francis, ever the great companion he was, just decided to curl up more into his owner's heat. It was not for his owner's sake, no of course not. He was cold, sue him. 

"I mean, genuinely, why are people so horrible? No, why is life is horrible?" 

In response to this, Francis looked up at his owner as if to say "I'm a fucking cat. Why do you think I know?". Fortunately (or unfortunately), his owner was not looking at their cat and instead was looking at the sad ceiling, their head laid on the back of the couch. 

"I'd like to think of myself as actually decent right? So why all of a sudden do I get hit with my own personal Pandora's Box shit? Like, was the gods above just like "This one. THEY deserve to suffer"? I just genuinely hate this so much, you know?"

In the middle of his owner's rant, they reached over to the blanket conveniently placed next to them, and laid it over their lap as well as Francis. 

Francis continued to half-listen to his owner's rant and half think about how the sad excuse of a cat Oreo got a new cat toy. Honestly, disgraceful. His attention only fully tuned back in when he heard his owner sigh. 

"You know, I could actually be talking to my human friends. But I just don't want to burden them, you know? But at the same time, don't I get to be a burden once in a while? Honestly, what the fuck is wrong with me? I'm airing out my problems to a cat who doesn't even understand me- bitch- but I do this so often. Maybe Su is right, maybe I am a mess. I'm sorry for bombarding you, Francis."

And Francis... well, Francis gracefully leaped out of their lap. Because well... ew, feelings. 

--

A/N:

Francis is an icon. Also, italics will usually mean Francis' thoughts :)

STAY COOL!

-wuwu 🤍