thirteen

||| the council meeting |||

_________________________________________

Newt

THERE WERE TEN MINUTES until the Maze doors opened and there was already a large group of Gladers gathered around them. I hadn't slept a wink all night, my mind running a million miles a minute with thoughts of Evelyn and Minho and their safety. While I was extremely hopeful they would return to me safe, I was quite doubtful — no one survived a night in the Maze. The thought of losing Evelyn so early into what could have blossomed into something so beautiful made my chest ache and my stomach churn, wishing I would have held onto her just a little tighter.

Gally stood beside me, anxiously rocking back and forth on his heels. I was a bit surprised at his nervous habit, hearing him angrily grumbling to himself over Evelyn's rambunctious behavior over the course of the night and into this morning. He had stalked into breakfast and eaten quickly, storming out and disappearing into the Builders' hut until just a few minutes ago when he pushed into the group right beside me.

"How much longer, Thomas?"

I glanced down to my left at Chuck, who was biting his finger nails nervously, staring up at Thomas with wide eyes. Thomas glanced down at his watch. "Three minutes."

My heart was pounding so loudly I wouldn't be surprised if Gally could hear it. Three minutes until I found out the truth. Three minutes until I learned my fate. My throat closed up at that thought, my palms beginning to sweat as that dreadful day replayed in my brain on repeat, almost mocking me for failing.

Had you succeeded you'd have never met Evelyn.

There was truth in that statement, and even though I struggled, I had found something that made the days seem happier and lighter than normal. Which was why I was clinging tightly to the thought if anyone could survive the Maze, it was Evelyn. She was different than the other boys here, in more ways than one. She held a certain aura, something that lifted spirits all while still holding a type of authority. She wasn't afraid to stand up for what she believed in and that was something everyone needed.

My thoughts were silenced by the all too familiar rumbling of the Maze doors opening, my heart rate accelerating drastically. Thomas and I shared a look of concern before turning our attention back to the Maze.

It felt like an eternity had passed before they had fully opened and to my disappointment, Evelyn and Minho were nowhere in sight. My stomach dropped and I hung my head, a loud sigh escaping my lips. I looked beside me at Chuck, who was staring in shock into the Maze with his mouth hanging open.