Recovery

The debris was freefloating in their path. The sensors aboard detected the object, but as yet they weren't able to view it to become familiar with it, or what it could potentially be.

"Helmsman, magnify the viewer. Bring that object up for us to view it clearer.", the captain ordered.

The helmsman complied and the screen magnified the object making it appear closer, but it was still a long way off. "Sir object has metallic composition, non powered. However it's not a raw unprocessed mineral or material. That is a manufactured object.", the acting science officer and XO replied from his console.

The Captain and crew waited as it grew as they got closer. It wasn't for a few minutes before the science officer spoke again. "Captain?", he said getting his attention.

Captain Buckman, "Yes Mr. Yathu".

Esmata Yathu was Azorian. "Sir that object coming into viewing range now is a derelict of some kind, but when I ran it through the ship database, it is as currently unidentified."

They returned their attentions to the main screen as the object was indeed getting closer, or rather they were actually the ones getting closer to the object.

Suddenly and without explanation, the helmsman blurted out, "Oh my God. That's part of a spacestation."

Captain Buckman was at first irritated at the outburst, but Mr. Yathu immediately returned momentarily to his console to validate the helmsmans comment.

"Helmsman, we need facts not supposition.", he said admonishing him for his outburst.

"My apologies captain, but I recognize what that is now. Those haven't been made in over a hundred years, and if my memory is correct the last of them were decommissioned over fifty years ago sir.", the helmsman replied. Before the captain could tell him something, Mr. Yathu cut in.

"Confirmed captain. Helsman Yates is correct. That object is only a part of what appears to have once been an original K Series space station.", he stated.

Captain Buckman froze. That shocked him to his core. "A part of a K Series? How? I wasn't aware we had any unaccounted for. Most were decommissioned and recycled long ago. Is this potentially one of the few that were sold to other entities or divisions?", he asked.

"Negative sir. I ran that data as soon as Mr. Yates stated what he believed it was. We have no unreported losses of any original series K's anywhere in our data sir.", he confirmed.

The captain sat back in his seat and slowly turned in the helmsmans direction, but his focus was on the object on the screen. "Mr. Yates, good job. I stand informed. However now I'm wondering how you recognized it? That thing is far older than you."

"It's a family tradition sir. Actually if Mr. Yathu can, look up space station Targis 6. I only know the name because it was the station my greatgrandfather served aboard her. All the families, and this is just family history talking, were told it was lost with all hands. No one ever found any sign of it. That was over a hundred years ago. I grew up looking at old scans and photos of it. I attempted to look through the declassified files also, but there is no mention of that spacestation or any indication of information about it's disappearance. If I'm right sir, that object is the lower docking pod from the central core of one of those stations.", he explained.