Chapter 9: Loki's Quest

"Is what he says true, Lady Y/N?" Odin glares at you, "Have you already chosen Loki as your companion?" His face twists in anger and what seems to be disgust.

You can not stop yourself from reciprocating his look of disgust, "It is true, All-Father." You hide your hands behind your back as they glow. You glare back at Odin, unflinching, "Is that a problem?"

Thor attempts miserably to hide a smile at your defiance. Jane elbows him seriously. Loki is still kneeling with his eyes glued to the floor. Your heart is pounding in your ears from rage at Odin disparaging Loki. You grit your teeth awaiting his answer. Frigga appears to be holding her breath, not daring to interject.

Odin stands and walks down the throne stairs to you, ignoring Loki. He stops two stairs above you, "I will not allow Loki to be the companion of Asgard's Protectress. If you are insistent with this decision, I will be forced to strip you of the title which you have held less than a day." His gaze is unrelenting as he takes another step towards you.

You step toward him, bringing you so close, you can feel his hot breath on your face, "Keep. Your. Title. I REFUSE it without Loki."

You glare back at Odin before seeing Loki look up at you, ready to stop you. You hold your hand up, silencing him gently, never taking your eyes off of Odin, "No, Loki. This is between Odin and myself. I made my choice years ago and I will honor that decision."

This unnerves Odin, causing you to smile as he steps back, "You would give up a godship for Loki Laufeyson?"

You smile, confident, "All-Father, I was fine before the title and I will be fine without it." You stop and stare at him, "I've lost the loves of my life and suffered heart break multiple times. And with all due respect, I'll be damned if something so small as a godship or a title cost me this one."

Odin growls as he turns and throws his hands up, "Take her to her chambers."

You feel the grip of the guards hands on your arms. Loki and Thor reach out to interject but Frigga stops them.

You yank out of their grasps, looking at Odin's back, "I am fully capable of going myself. I suggest you tell your guards to keep their hands off of me."

Odin turns back to address your insubordination but you have already turned your back and are storming from the throne room, your long white gown flowing behind you.

You slam the door to your room and pace the floor, your face burning. A short time later, Loki teleports into your room, "My love, I don't have a lot of time." Loki runs to you, taking your hands in his own, his face riddled with panic and fear, "Odin is furious at your decision and defiance of his wishes to choose another suitor. He has contemplated having you sent back to Midgard but Mother reminded him of the people's love for you. There would be an uprising and he knows it." Loki squeezes your hands gently, "Y/N, this is serious. I have never seen him so angry. I have no way of knowing what he will do." He smiles softly, cupping your cheek, shaking his head, "I knew you loved me, but to give up what you have. To speak to Odin in the way you did..."

You lean up on your tiptoes and plant a soft kiss on his lips. "Oh, my Lohk," you sigh exasperated, "it was high time someone stood up to him."

Loki laughs softly, pulling you into him, "Were you always this much trouble with Rogers and Barnes?"

You grin softly, shaking your head, "They would probably tell you yes, but I don't recall being that bad." You laugh, "Although, I was probably much worse."

Loki laughs and picks you up, kissing you gently before laying you on the bed, "Oh Pet, I fear this may be our last night together for a while. Shall we make the most of it?"