10. A-List Eavesdropper

"Cut!" Liam roars

"Cut!" Liam roars. In the glow from the overhead floodlights, I can make out angry spittle blasting from his lips. His round face is tomato-red. Needless to say, he's pissed.

I lean against the cold, fake marble wall, panting and waiting for his criticism. I've been on the receiving end all day, and I've deserved every word.

After barely sleeping a wink last night, I arrived on set this morning disheveled and exhausted. The look of horror in Melody's eyes when she saw the paparazzi appeared in my mind whenever I tried to close my eyes and drift off. I hoped I'd fare better at work, but I've been fucking up for ten hours.

This never happens. Never. Memorizing lines has always been my thing. On Meet the Colemans, I could recite Matty's dialogue off the top of my head after a couple hours with the script. Directors know me as the guy who effortlessly keeps up with ever-changing scripts. That's half the reason I landed Heist after the sitcom wrapped up.

Today, I'm letting everyone down. I'm betraying my own reputation by continuously forgetting Knox's next quip or move. All I can think about is Melody, Melody, Melody.

Dinner was amazing. We discovered shared interests. We formed inside jokes. Our conversation was natural and easy because I was being myself for once. Her snark renders my America's sweetheart persona useless, and I fucking loved it. I can't remember the last time I let the façade melt away completely.

And she seemed happy too. She told me about her books and tattoos and the time she went skinny-dipping in college. As she drained her first glass of wine, her nerves faded away. I saw her eyes flit to my lips when I guided her down the stairs after dinner.

I was going to kiss her goodnight. I had the whole thing planned. I was going to brush her hair behind her ear and pull her close until she lost herself in the kiss. It'd be the kind of kiss that left her craving more. She'd have to see me again to get her fill. Instead, she hardly said a word before she stomped off to the car with Clayton fucking Hall's fingers laced between hers.

That's where mine were supposed to be, but I know she'll never want that, not after last night. She was so angry she could hardly bring herself to speak to me, and I understand why. She confided in me about hating media attention because of her sister's disappearance. Then, the paparazzi ambushed us during the date I promised would be private.

"Where are you, Asher?" Liam groans.

Heist set, filming a scene where Knox darts around a bank basement, hiding from security. Also, stuck somewhere in my own mind, wondering if Melody texted me back. I apologized again this morning and haven't been able to check my phone because I've been too busy redoing the same scene.

Not the answer Liam wants to hear.

"I'm sorry, Liam. I'm having an off-day," I sigh.

"Yeah. You mentioned that." He waves an arm at Tony and Lee, the actors playing the security guards. "You guys can go. Be back tomorrow at eight."